Natural gas couplers

I know galvy couplers are bad with propane. Builder says they are fine with natural gas. I’m not getting called back by the AHJ. Does anyone have or know where to get documentation that this is bad or allowed?

OOPS, forgot to add photo.

MVC-002S.JPG

Read second paragraph of this link…

http://www.keidel.com/mech/pvf/pipe-galvanized.htm

Well, that proves what I always say;
“Anyone can put anything up on the internet, whole truth, regurgitated rumor or not.”

Unless that is a regional thing, I think someone is confusing galvanized with copper.

At least the chemical, mercaptan that is added to natural gas around here does not cause any flaking off of the galvanized coating.
The chemical does however cause flaking off inside of coper tube.
The black flakes in the copper can and sometimes does get under the delicate spring loaded gas valves and hold them open creating a run away appliance.

I seriously doubt that there is anything to worry about using galvanized for LP gas lines either but I’m not experienced with LP gas so I can’t say.
I do Know copper is most commonly used for LP gas in my area.

[quote=sparksnmore]
Well, that proves what I always say;
“Anyone can put anything up on the internet, whole truth, regurgitated rumor or not.”/quote]

Sparks…yes I agree with your statement. It is often difficult to disseminate accurate information from the erroneous. I apologize if the info I supplied is indeed not accurate. I was attempting to supply an answer to Karls question from a site that seems reliable. Maybe I should have supplied the following link instead… http://www.phmsa.dot.gov/staticfiles/PHMSA/DownloadableFiles/Files/3%20-%20Guidance%20Manual%20for%20Operators%20of%20Small%20Natural%20Gas%20Systems-2002.pdf which is from this US Gov site… http://www.phmsa.dot.gov/portal/site/PHMSA

Galvanized Pipe and fittings are not approved for transfer of natural gas. Will post the code as soon as I find it.

My mistake, and I’m still shaking my head over this one, in some local jurisdictions (not all) galvanized is an approved pipe for gas lines. Where I live, it is not. This is what happens when you approach 60 years old, you assume old standards are still true.

Remember though, the galvanized steel acts like a non ferrous metal due to the zinc coating and will react (over time like copper).

I imagine it depends on which code is adopted by what area and I know different regions do have different rules.

Just my own personal thinking but the only reasons not to use galvanized pipe for natural gas that I can think of (other than being twice as expensive) is it might possibly get mistaken for a water pipe by some unexperienced DIY person who then turns off the water supply and cuts a gas pipe.
A little far fetched I know, but not impossible.

With DIY Homeowners nothing surprises me!!!

It depends on the chemical make-up of the gas available in your area. Some allow it and some do not. Call your local gas company to find out.

Galvanized was not allowed in my area in the past, but the last time I checked it was allowed.