Natural gas furnace converted to propane...

Originally Posted By: reborn
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I have a client that is pulling a 13 year old natural gas forced air furnace out of the home they are buying, and installing a new one. They want to take the old one to use in their cabin, but the fuel supply there would be from propane. He asked me if this could be done, and I gave him the best blank stare I had, then told him I’d find out…So how about it anyone? Can this be done? Should this be done? Or is he best to just scrap it and buy a furnace made to burn propane…

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi Ryan,

welcome to NACHI, it is in many cases OK to swop a furnace over from natural gas to propane, but should only be done so according to the manufacturers instructions, at the very least the jets will need to be swopped out to those for propane (they have smaller nozzels).

It is also fair to say that the costs of doing so may be dispreportionate to the long term saving as the furnace is well past it's "half life" anyway, and a modern furnace would be much more efficient.

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Originally Posted By: James D Mosier

Been there, wanted to do that. Probably not worth it with a 13 yr old furnace.

My mother-in-law sold a house but kept the land with the gas well, ended up putting in a brand new propane furnace just to sell the place.

--
Jim Mosier