Need code assistance please

Hello to all.
I am new to the Home Inspector Field and a New member to InterNACHI. I do have a question, I recently just had a new roof put onto my residence and yes it was the Fortified, in recent i mean literally just this past weekend. So to help with the question, this is what happened. Saturday the roofing company came out, stripped the roof of the 30+year three tab asphalt shingle and roofing paper, replaced with water and ice paper and new three tab shingles. Sunday when shingles were being put on, the air conditioner started blowing hot air. AC company called to look at it and found the line set to the AC was leaking via a nail hole. Yes the AC was working and had been up until Sunday.

I called the Roofing company and they had told me that if there is a shield over the lines which are in the attic and it is punctured, that the roofing company will cover it, I was told that by Code there has to be a shield over the lines if they run through the attic or along the roof. AC company is here today to repair and stated that they have never heard of anything in that nature and that the roofing company is saying this so they do not have to pay for the repair.

If anyone could help, it would be greatly appreciated. I also referred back to the roofing section and did not see anything resembling this issue. Thanks to all in advance.

Typically roofing nails only penetrate the roof sheathing about ¼", so how close was the AC lines?

This is the requirement from the 2018 International Residential Code. You should check your local Municipality for any changes or additions to the codes.

M1411.7 Location and protection of refrigerant piping.
Refrigerant piping installed within 1 1 / 2 inches (38 mm) of the
underside of roof decks shall be protected from damage
caused by nails and other fasteners.

2 Likes

Any pictures?