Need diagram for roof plywood overlap

Anyone have a good diagram or pic that shows the proper way to overlap plywood or OSB on a roof when you have a rake soffit overhang? I tried Google searching and looked for a long time but I didn’t see what I was looking for. Trying to show my client a diagram on how to fix this:

Looks like the ‘Rake Ladders’ are either missing or failing… https://www.google.com/search?newwindow=1&client=opera&hs=F8U&biw=1840&bih=970&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=i2srXvHvOYa7tAaZqZ6gCA&q=roof+rake+ladder+framing&oq=roof+rake+ladder&gs_l=img.1.1.0l2.0.0..3944...0.0..0.60.60.1…0…gws-wiz-img.pK6qVKlAw_s

6 Likes

fat inspector broke the fly rafter ?

1 Like

Sure is. How wide was the overhang? Do you have a picture? No doubt in my mind either that is the problem.
Just recommend a Building Contractor to repair as necessary. Who ever built that should be jailed.

1 Like

Here are three different ways to frame a gable overhang, Ryan:

I hope one helps. :smile:

4 Likes

I think that on older homes wood board sheathing was strong enough to support overhangs, at least for a while. Either it fails over the long term or is replaced with plywood sheathing by those who don’t realize that the need to install outlookers to support the overhang.

3 Likes

Thanks Larry. I had found those pics already. I was trying to find one which shows how to stagger the plywood and overlap the rake by alternating the stagger, but I couldn’t find one. I guess the bottom one is as close as we will find. Thanks!