NEED HELP!: National Home Inspector Exam (NHIE)

The NHIE is crap on a plate. It shouldn’t be used for anything, not even a homework assignment. That’s the real problem.

2 Likes

That’s why Texas chose it for their State licensing test! :roll:

This may be a little late to help the original poster…but I’m afraid all his worry was in vain.The state of Kentucky accepts both national exams. The NAH (the one I took when licensed) and …the NHIE. Megan Woodson , office administrator at the Kentucky Board of Home Inspectors will be glad to further explain if need be…So if your worried about one being skewed…take the other.

#1 - Many tests ask questions NOT relevant to where you live on the basis of … WHAT if you pass a national certification test in Florida THEN move to Arizona

#2 - My 21 year old helper took a 9 day HI on-site course. Studied like crazy and got a 96 … Was proud as could be. Had NO construction experience at ALL. His dad died when he was 11 and he had no man around the house to teach him ANYTHING even half-way mechanically related AND his mom was an artist.

He rode with 4-5 veteran inspectors for 2 months to get some field experience. Then went off to take the national exam. Like the original poster on this board . He blew it AND he was really confused, because he asked me questions like … “Whats a Swampie”; OR … “Dan, if we don’t do lead, asbestos, etc WHY did they ask us half a dozen questions about them”; OR “Dan, our instructor told us we don’t use oil fired furnaces around here BUT there were 5 questions on that”, OR “Dan, we had 2 questions on SEAWALLS … Whats a Seawall?”

Its embarrassing to me personally because I was on the Board that set the NHIE in place originally AND this is NOT what we set up or had in mind.

1 Like

This is a lot of really good information. Thanks guys, I am feeling much more comfortable knowing that I am not alone in this whole exam thing. I have 30 parallel inspections under my belt, I am certified for residential home inspections and pool and spa certified but for some reason I can’t get past this test. As far as code goes I feel like I know code better than anything else…Its the questions that all of the answers are right but one is a smidge better than the rest…or the questions that are trying to trick you into picking the wrong answer. I don’t see how this is going to make me a home inspector but none the less I want to be one more than anything so I will continue to plug away.

Your not alone and that is the problem!

Anyone can turn a burger patty at a fast food joint.

I don’t care who, told you what, you can’t read a frigging book and become a Home Inspector.

Now keep that 'Rule of thumb" in your cash.
It’s a fact, Jack!

So are you asking for the answer sheet too?!

Send me $1500 and I’ll take the damn test for you… (you have to pay for my plastic surgery. I hope your not ugly!)

I for one was aghast at the questions on the National Exam, which I failed in November. I have rescheduled for December but am petrified to take it again. I have studied so much but am still afraid. I’m a good test taker. I passed the National Registry of Emergency Medical Techs Basic, then two years later Intermediate. Both passed on the first try. I even purchased several exam prep question downloads <-- DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THESE they are useless. I have reverted back to Internashi’s pre licensing study courses. I retake all the quizzes and final exams. I do not know what else I can do. Maybe I was just unlucky and got one of the “more difficult” exams, I don’t know. What I do know is when (and if actually) I every do pass the Natl. exam I’ll know my stuff!!! I’m dead in the water with out passing it. I can’t put in for a N.H. license without it the only thing I suppose I can do is get the LLC established, which I’m in the process of. also I’m slowly purchasing the equipment I’ll most likely be needing to perform inspections. Well, best of luck to everyone preparing for their state or the Natl. exams… Prayers to all including ME!

The NHIE is a scam. Any home inspection licensing board members who voted to adopt it should be taken out in the street and shot.

3 Likes

Totally agree. And I hear that nonsense is coming to Ohio in the next 1-2 yrs. Yipee…

year old thread lol. John, do the internachi practice questions over and over and over again until you know it. You will pass it.

I purchased the NHIE inspection manual and read it from cover to cover. I also went through the practice questions on this site twice. All of that prep allowed me to breeze through the test in about 1.5 hours and passing with a nearly perfect score.

@John- I too passed my EMT Basic and Advanced Registry on my first try. Keep studying and doing the questions and you will do fine.

Hi Justin,

I am going to take your advice, I so far have my classroom and field hours in and I ordered MANY software programs and even studied the internachi answers over and over. I score Good on all these exams but the NHIE which I believe its hard to figure the answers out No matter how good of a inspector a person is.

I am about to take the NHIE in a few days. Have taken 2 short practice exams and the seem to be a far cry from a lot of Internachi material. Considering ordering both the NHIE manual and study guide just to pass it and then get back to focusing on my Internachi education. Any of you all taken the study guide? Has it helped? What is your suggestions? I too am a AEMT,bad test taker but made it through first try. If I can make it through that, surely I can make it through this.

I think its a good idea to get their manual and study guide and review it. Also there is a app for windows you can get by upward mobility called “Inspector Certification Exam Prep” which is set up like the exam questions.
I did reviewed there manual, did the exam prep from above, internachi prep and the classes required here for your first year before i took the exam and did well on the exam.
I hope that helps some. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks brother, I appreciate the advice

HI
I just took the Tenneessee state exam and I know what you are saying,
with that said after my first fail. I dug deeper and found out you need to take the advanced course before you take your state exam . Even with the advance course taken , the state exam was very hard to pass . 200 hundred questions and 25% of the questions were not on the basic or advance?
Some questions on sprinkler systems and pools ? not covered in basic or advance?(PHII) courses. I barley passed !
So make sure you go over the study guides and go over your state EXAM
twice before you click your done . I passed my study exams Basic 98%(475 questions) Advance 96%(454 questions) so I thought I had this State exam in the bag , boy was I wrong!

good luck & study

I am about to take this test in a few weeks in Tulsa. Is there any other material you all used other than the intetnachi practice question set?

Only that big book will give ya what you need. Even the study guide that has all the practice questions is of little value. I memorized that thing and failed it. Its is a tricky sucker and nothing will help much other than reading the big book and doing the reviews in that book. Like mentioned above, questions on pools and sprinklers and nothing even in the big book about them. Its frustrating.

Note: Im just a newbie, BUT, I did just take that test a month ago. I failed it and had to go again. Only after reading the big book front to back and the reviews helped me pass. I made a 620 and knew most of the answers before even seeing the options. I can promise you this, no practice question anywhere or in any form will be on the test. You have to study or get lucky at guessing.

I remember when I was struggling with it and was looking everywhere to find advice. I never posted on here because the search feature showed me enough smart butt remarks made by folks who prolly never had to take the test but where already inspectors looking down their noses from their high perch. Im just telling you what worked for me, there aint no easy out on this one. Study the book, not practice questions. Good luck!

Jeff which big book are you referring to? I take my National exam next week.

Here is a link. Its suppose to be what the test is based on. This is the book the school I attended gave us. The same company makes another book in the same series that is like 400 practice questions. I memorized that book word for word and none of those questions were on the test. The book is like 6 or 8 inches thick. To me thats a BIG book. :mrgreen: