Neutrals and Grounds on same bus bar

In the service panel, is it okay for neutrals and grounds to exist on the same bus bar? Even though the neutral bus and ground bus are connected, are the neutrals and grounds still required to be seperated? Would you suggest review by an electrician if this was the only issue?

No review needed because it’s not an issue if the panel contains the service disconnect.

But if the service disconnect is outside and the panel is inside?

That’s correct but would not apply here if this is a question about the service.

I’ve been told that neutrals and grounds can be mixed in the distribution panel but not a sub panel.

In this case the neutral and grounds are connected in the service panels and are separate in the distribution panels. From my understanding that is exactly how they should be. They shouldn’t bond in the distribution panel unless it doubles as the main service disconnect. I am trying to determine if the downstream conductor size is large enough for the 200 amp breaker. Equipotential bonding is perfect in this situation unless I am more messed up than I thought.

A distribution panel is a sub panel.

There is service equipment, and then there is “other” equipment. If it’s not service equipment, the neutrals must be floating.

The neutral and ground bus should not be connected (bonded) in the sub panel.

If there is a service disconnect outside, then everything downstream (including your distribution panel) is now considered a sub panel. The only place the neutral and ground can be together is at the service panel (your disconnect outside). The neutral and ground must be isoloated (floating) in a sub panel.

There are countless threads on this subject throughout this mb.

1 Like

The feeder conductor should be the same size as the service conductors.

Equipotential bonding is for around a pool or hot tub. I don’t know what it has to do in this case.