New AFCI info

Originally Posted By: dfrend
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I am not going to argue the benefits and problems with them, but I think you all should see the following:

A recent Department of Homeland Security study of year 2000 fires reveals that ELECTRICAL ARCING was the 2nd leading heat source for residential fires. The fires in 2000 resulted in almost 3,500 DEATHS and 17,400 injuries, let alone $5.7 billion in property loss.

--
Daniel R Frend
www.nachifoundation.org
The Home Inspector Store
www.homeinspectorstore.com

Originally Posted By: Greg Fretwell

In 1960 there were about 180 million Americans and 6300 died in fires.

In 2000 there were over 100 million more Americans and the death toll from fires was a bit over half the 1960 number. NFPA must be doing something right.

They are, and some of it is through products and codes they recommend. Know what a huge factor is in some areas? Fire sprinklers. No person has died as result of burns or respiratory damage in a residential fire where fire sprinklers were installed properly and working. There have been some stress related heart attacks, but no “fire” deaths.

Before long they will be code everywhere, mark my words.

--
Daniel R Frend
www.nachifoundation.org
The Home Inspector Store

Originally Posted By: Bob Badger

The sprinkler installers are not lying when they have

"Sprinklers Save Lives"

on their trucks.

I hope the code changes sooner rather than later.

A couple of towns over from me it all new homes must have a sprinkler system. ![icon_cool.gif](upload://oPnLkqdJc33Dyf2uA3TQwRkfhwd.gif)

This was a big deal, the builders fought this hard.

--
Bob (AKA iwire)
ECN Discussion Forums
Mike Holt Code Forum

Builders are the hold up. Not sure why. They can make money on it too. Alot of it has to do with the misconceptions about water damages. Builders tend to be the hold up on a lot of things. Around here, several of the major counties around DC require them in ALL new construction. Hopefully one day every new home in america will have them. If I ever build a home, my house will have them.

I have that sticker from my sprinkler installing days.

Thread drift huh?

--
Daniel R Frend
www.nachifoundation.org
The Home Inspector Store

Originally Posted By: jpeck

dfrend wrote:
Builders are the hold up. Not sure why.

Because, the higher the costs of construction gets, the less room they have to price up to the limit the market has the ability to pay.

If the market has the ability to pay $200k, and the house costs $100k, they can still sell it at $200k.

If the market as the ability to pay $200k, and the house costs $125k, they can still only sell it at $200k.

The higher the actual cost of construction goes, the less room they have for their other costs, and profit.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

True. I am sure that is probably part. Of course they cost 1-2% of cost of home, and that is retail. But it does still raise the price some.

Daniel R Frend

www.nachifoundation.org

The Home Inspector Store