New Cameras for extendable poles?

My last Canon camera would connect to my phone via Wifi and I’m looking for a replacement to use with my extendable pole. They don’t make that specific camera anymore. I was wondering if anyone could share what they use. (I don’t like walking roofs.)

1 Like

Any GoPro or knock-off with WiFi connection will probably work fine. They have the advantage of being water-tight or come with water-tight housing and come with a variety of mounting brackets and options. This is the one I use from HLS (Chinese). The user interface is clunky, but serviceable. The pictures are stored locally on the camera, but download to your phone afterwards at the press of a button, probably in less than a minute in most cases.

1 Like

This is the canon that I use. We’re at the 2 year anniversary now since I broke my previous one.

This is what I had and its production has been discontinued.

I’ll look into this. Seems clunkier. Thanks for the GoPro tip too.

Wow, what are the odds. I’ve tried a bunch of different cameras and none of them connected as easily as the cannon. Ugh, looks like I’ll be on the lookout for a new one too.

https://www.amazon.com/Fujifilm-FinePix-XP140-Waterproof-Digital/dp/B07NJR4LV5

1 Like

Buy a drone if you aren’t going to walk roofs. It will work much better than a pole.

1 Like

Not necessarily. Perhaps in places like Florida, but in Minnesota with high winds, frigid winters 4+ months/year, and even extreme heat/humidity 2+ months/year… they’re not all cracked up (well maybe they literally are) to be what they purport to be. I know of very few inspectors in MN that own drones. There are a few Drone Services companies out there, but they only use the high dollar Professional stuff… (and they ain’t cheap!)… such as: Best Commercial & Professional Drones 2022 (New Guide)

4 Likes

You know one for sure. :person_raising_hand:
And yes, the wind is a PIA.

Like I said…

How often do you actually use it to it’s full capacity and your needs?

Number 1 complaint I hear, along with they don’t like the cold very much, but electronics usually don’t!

1 Like

I use it quite a bit actually. It really is a great tool in my opinion.
Here’s some pics from earlier this week.

6 Likes

What ya got from January/February last year??

1 Like

I have both and there are times when the pole is the best choice. I am fortunate to have many ladders, pole and drone with me at all times.

5 Likes

It tells me it doesn’t lol. When it is very cold the controller keeps beeping and telling me to bring down the drone. I have just kept flying with no repercussions so far, but I am very careful during that time to keep it near the edges as much as possible.

Here’s some from February. I don’t know how cold it was this day though. This one would have been impossible with just about any other tool in my opinion.

2 Likes

Well, there is solid ice on the drive…all I need to see. :smile:

1 Like

We have solid ice on the drive in November!
No/little snow or ice on the roof… must have been one of our “off” weeks last year!

2 Likes

Who’s that dufus down there?

3 Likes

What model of drone do you use Ryan? Those pictures look good.