New construction egress- What would you do?

Originally Posted By: dfrend
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

OK, I have gotten some professional opinions on this and know how I am going to proceed. Wanted more input though on the problem.

New construction. Finished basement with one interior stairwell. No windows. Family room in front is about 30' x 15' with a 12 foot hallway offset. Front wall is below grade with no windows. Side walls are up to neighboring townhomes. Rear wall is to other interior rooms.

13x13 room in middle of basement. Front wall is to the family room. One side wall is to neighboring unit, other is to hall. Rear wall is to garage footings and slab. No windows. THis room has double french style door, full slab, no glass. Across hallway is a full bath with a shower. Now, the shower leads me to believe this is intended habitable space.

State Fire Marshal friend of mine confirms that if it is defined habitable space, MD code would require a second means of egress as per IRC. The house does have use and occupancey permit. The State Fire Marshal also agreed that in his view, the full bath would make it a habitable space. Even still though, at least one local inspector didn't catch it or didn't care.

What would you do?

--
Daniel R Frend
www.nachifoundation.org
The Home Inspector Store
www.homeinspectorstore.com

Originally Posted By: jpope

New construction? Easy icon_biggrin.gif .

IRC 310.1 = Every sleeping room requires emergency escape and rescue opening. Also, basements with habitable space require escape and rescue opening.

If it's questionable, write it up and let the contractor prove that it conforms to the required standard.

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: scieslewicz

Hi Daniel,

There are absolutely no windows or window wells in this basement? There has to be at least 8% of floor area dedicated to glazed area for it to be considered habitable (IRC 303.1, I believe...no code book handy).

It can not be called a bedroom because of the egress issue. I'd strongly recommend a smoke detector in that room and also that the undercarriage of the stairs be rocked completely in order to provide more time for escape in case of fire.

If habitable, it must also meet all heat/ventilation requirements as well. Again, no code book handy but in colder regions the room must have heating that provides and maintains 68 degrees F at 3' above the floor level and 2' from an exterior wall.

As always, Jeff's suggestion is smart.....confront the builder!!

Let us know.
Sue

OK, got my “official” answer. The code in force does say that and "habitable space needs rescue openings, but…

There is a local exception because the home has fire sprinklers. The local fire protection engineer told me that it was a concession they made to builders when they enacted the law requiring them in all new homes. If called a bedroom it would still need windows.

--
Daniel R Frend
www.nachifoundation.org
The Home Inspector Store

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

The reason for the windows is so firemen can gain fairly easy access to sleeping rooms. Your local AHJ is a bit odd…but I guess sprinklers do help the firemen also…It’s an odd concession to say the least.

Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

I do see their view. Problem is many builders are squarely against fire sprinklers because it cuts slightly into their profits (even though the cost is less than 1 %.). This county is one of the few areas in the country to require =fire sprinklers in EVERY single new home.

The facts shown by huge studies show that sprinklers are the most effective life saving tool for fires. Pheonix did a study over 5 years after enacting ordinances on sprinklers. The study showed that not one single person died in homes with sprinlers as a result of fire. The fact is people are saved every day by sprinkler systems.

My concern in this case would be if the system were inoperable. However, with other local ordinances, I would guess the chances of that to be almost none. The sprinkler system cannot be shut down independently, the entire water supply would have to be. So if a head was leaking they would have to get it fixed not just shut it off and drain it.

In looking at the reasoning, I guess it is worth it. Overall, the problem the code was made to address has been addressed by a newer local code in the sprinkler system.

--
Daniel R Frend
www.nachifoundation.org
The Home Inspector Store