New Construction TPRV Not 6" from Floor

Does anyone see anything wrong with this NEW house install ? Going by the 2018 IRC standards. 1. TPRV not within 6" of floor, I’m seeing this about every week on new construction.
DSCN6418
DSCN6420
DSCN6421
DSCN6423

It is fine don’t call it out and move on.

1 Like

…relief valve to terminate no more than 6 inches above the floor surface, a waste receptor or floor drain…

1 Like

it is well within 6" of the pan …it’s fine…

3 Likes

Looks fine to me. I’d call out the 3/4” PEX fitting. The lack of support for the expansion tank is a concern as well.

1 Like

If you really want to get technical the PVC pipe drain from the pan is not an approved material either. The drain should be piped to the exterior. As far as I’m concerned no pan is required if this is installed in a garage.

1 Like

If the water heater flood pan is not plumbing into waste drain pipe properly, then yes.

If I called any of this out in my area, I would be laughed out of the room by any plumbers in the area and then eye rolled by the RE agents. Too trivial for this jurisdiction.

Edit; Except for the valve Martin pointed out… :wink:

4 Likes

OK let’s keep the party going. No valve should be installed between the water heater and the expansion tank.

3 Likes

NOPE, read #10

Read #5 as well. The pan is the waste receptor.

1 Like

So which one is correct #5 or #10 ?

They are both correct. The pan is the approved waste receptor.

1 Like

Per @mwilles 2018 IPC it appears it can go to the pan, floor, waste receptor or exterior.

2 Likes

Brian since the discharge pipe went into the pan the pan drain is now required to go to a receptor, floor drain or the exterior. I don’t see another receptor or a floor drain so it should be pipe to the exterior. 504.7.2.

I hope the codeies don’t get triggered with all these codes🤓

So you have five things wrong with the water heater installation. Not bad the plumbers around here I usually find five or six.

1 Like

For some reason, I see drain pans piped to the garage floor very often. No floor drain. I see this on new construction often. It was explained to me by a nobody this is because water that hits the garage floor will not do damage to finishes. It is common practice here. But, when I see this, the pressure relief is always piped outside.

2 Likes

Brian here they eliminated the pan altogether it’s not required. The discharge piping goes to the floor and everything is good to go.

1 Like

This is correct.

1 Like

Code here requires the pan (with or without a floor drain). There is little point in having the WH installed on a stand. All water heaters are now FVIR. So . . . unless your local code hasn’t kept up tp date…

I agree 100% but for some reason I see water heaters installed on stands on every inspection. Putting an electric water heater on a stand is beyond ridiculous.

3 Likes