New Geo unit neat system

I inspected a 4 year old home this week that had a Geo unit installed unlike any I have inspected before.

It was a two story one system unit with supply and returns from the ceiling.

Both levels had their own thermostats that could activate the cooling or heating mode separate of each other or both call for A/C or heat at the same time. Needless to say one stat could not be in heat and the other stat in cool both stats have to be in the same mode. There were 24 volt controlled dampers in the supply duct that would open and close according to what stat was calling. If the down stairs was calling for cooling the upstairs dampers would go closed and VS if the upstairs was calling and not the down stairs and both would open if both stats were calling at the same time.

This unit had two vertical loops one for each level of the home that were drilled to 200 feet in depth. This was all controlled with an electronic logic board. I liked this system. I was just wondering how many inspectors have ran into this type of system any comments.

Monticello had form of geothermal AC back in the day. A few contractors are starting to advertise these types of system in my area. I have yet to see one, I have seen Earth homes built into the ground. I would imagine that these unites are still rather pricey.
http://www.geoexchange.org/incentives/incentives.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geothermal_heating
http://www.eere.energy.gov/consumer/your_home/space_heating_cooling/index.cfm/mytopic=12670

The seller was present during the inspection and he asked me if I knew what these system cost, my guess was 12K to 15 K and he stated the price was right in the middle as he had the home custom built.

That’s not a bad price, considering the long-term savings. I’ve yet to see one, but I’ve studied them in whatever info I could find on the web and elsewhere. I wonder…did that price include the whole installation, or just the equipment? How prevalent are they out where you are?

Jimmy;
I would think the price quoted was turn key and no they are not real common but are starting to catch on for those country locations that can afford the price.

Charley,

I have been installing these types of systems for about 10 years in Hilton Head, South Carolina. Every 2 story house that I installed over that period of time has this type of design. I use Honeywell Zone boards and T-stats.

Bruce, I’m no expert on the subject, but I’m thinking that ductwork design and static pressure are paramount considerations when installing this type of system. Am I correct? I’d like to hear your thoughts on that.

Jimmy,

You are correct. The design of the systems ductwork is always a big consideration. The more efficient the system is the most cost effective it will be for the consumer. Most air conditioning equipment has to be at least a 14 seer rating to be considered engery efficent. The higher the seer rating the more efficent the system is suppose to be.

How did you determine whether it was a vertical loop?

This is a good sitefor beginners studying these systems, like me :wink:

Geez old thread had forgot about it. Very easy to determine I could see the well head plus the seller was present and we were discussing the cost of drilling the water well.

Thanks Barry
I am also a beginner on geothermal systems.

Gary
http://www.hsspropertyinspection.com/

Charlie,

I did a new construction inspection that had a Geo Thermal system. When I talked to the owner he was telling me that the vertical loop systems often have problems after a few years because they get “clogged up” and That’s why he chose a buried field loop system.

Is it possible that he was talking about a twin well type that was not closed closed loop?

I wasn’t sure what he meant by “clogged up.”

Have you heard of any problems with the vertical loop systems?

I have not seen a twin well type here we take the suction and discharge from the same well head. The only problem with clogging that I could see would be if some knuckle head installed the discharge and suction to close to the bottom and stirred up the debris in the bottom of the well casing.

BTW I like the ground loop myself fill with glycol and forget it

Didn’t make sense to me either.