New image added to the free Gallery: Single Phase Electrical Panel Conductors

1 Like

It would be helpful to say whether this is supposed to be a service panel or a remote distribution panel. Most service panels would not have a egc with the incoming power. That would be typical of a remote panel.

As Jim stated there are no EGCs (equipment grounding conductors) on the line side of the service disconnect. There should not be a green EGC run with the service conductors.

Although it is correct in this graphic because there is no green screw being used as the main bonding jumper (MBJ) the typical service with a green screw MBJ must have the grounding electrode conductor terminated on the neutral bus.

A minor point, but the conduit would not extend into the enclosure like that.

They do in my area. At almost every panel, that was installed within the last 20-25 years or so.

1 Like

It’s not code compliant according to the NEC because the EGC is in parallel with the service neutral. I’m not surprised because all of those NM cables coming into the panel as shown in the photo is also not permitted by the NEC.

Chris, an important distinction is whether the panel is a service or a remote distribution panel. Simply because a panel has a main breaker does not mean it is a service.

This will become more important as more areas add the required emergency disconnect on service upgrades and new construction.

1 Like

Good point. The OP is about services and so my response to Chirs was based on that. His panel could be a sub-panel.

I very much know the difference between a service and a remote distribution panel.

I’m also surprised you’re saying this because I have seen it wired this way thousands of times, in multiple jurisdictions/ counties.

I’m not saying that you’re not seeing this, all I’m saying is that if your photo is of a service panel then it is a NEC violation to run the bare conductor with the service conductors because it is parallel to the neutral.

Regarding jamming 20+ NM cables into the panel as shown in your photo that’s a NEC violation too. If there is a local code amendment(s) in your jurisdiction that may explain why you’re seeing this quite often but if the adopted code is the un-amended NEC then neither of those things are code compliant.

What is that black wire connected to the middle of the right side hot bus bar going out the right side of the cabinet?

Whatever it is it should not be bolted to the bus. I suspect it was meant to show a branch circuit conductor.

1 Like

I agree that it is an error and should be removed from the graphic.

2 Likes

(With the exception of Chicago), If Illinois is anything like Minnesota, Electrical is State mandated and Inspected, so if the entire state is governed by the same ‘wrong’ information, I would expect what you stated to be the case, and simply exacerbates the situation!
This is no different than a lazy Journeyman training all his apprentices with the same bad information… and so on… and so on… and so on…

I found this from the local utility company, Ameren, that serves about a third of Illinois and Missouri, in their residential overhead electrical service installation brochure.

Where the customer has a main service disconnect mounted within 10 feet and in sight of the Ameren self-contained meter socket or CT enclosure, connection of an external grounding electrode system to the service equipment disconnect is acceptable in lieu of landing in the utility metering equipment.

1 Like

This sounds like they actually require the GEC to connect in the metering equipment unless it meets the exception of 10’ or less and within sight.

That’s how I read it. And in my area most service panels are within 10 ft. Usually on the opposite wall of meter.

They said that it needs to be 10’ or less and within sight so that means it cannot be on the other side of the wall to meet the exceptiton.

1 Like

Doesn’t a window resolve that condition?

2 Likes

Thank you for your feedback. We will be removing the conductors that are bolted and attached on the right side of the image as well clearing up the image based on some of the other remarks. We aim to create factual images that all of out members can use and it is through your feedback that allows us to do so. Look for an amended image soon.