New Inspector

Originally Posted By: Morgan Wood
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Hello Inspector’s,

I am a new inspector in Louisiana. Could anyone give me some good advice on where to get the equipment i need to get started? Should i invest right away in software? Also, i need some equipment still, like a water level, gas and moisture meters. Please give me all the advice you want. It has cost me a bundle just to get my license and i don’t want to waste anymore money on things i don’t need. Thanks again.

Morgan Wood
New Orleans

Originally Posted By: jbehling

There is a wealth of information on this site, I suggest you do a search on what you are looking for, i.e. Tools.

You should also join NACHI to see the members only section with a lot of good marketing tips.

My advice would be to not spend too much$$$ at first until you start to see a lot of business. So don't go buying $1000 software till you are comfortable that the pay back will be short.

Just my .02 cents, Canadian of course ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

Originally Posted By: jwortham

Try using reporthost as your software for now.

30 free reports to start, 5 dollars a report after that.

I am betting when you get to 30 reports, you should be able to afford most any software you would want.

Originally Posted By: psisler

Welcome aboard Morgan,

I agree with Jason and Jeffrey. There are a great deal of posts on equipment and software that will fit your individual needs. We all had to go through this very same ordeal...check the board out....check Google for inspections tools and the like. Good luck in your endeavors.

Patrick M. Sisler
Alta Sierra Home Inspections
altasierrahi@lycos.com
530-272-7242

Originally Posted By: rwashington

Check out EBay for a good 12.5’ TELESCOPINGN ladder. They are very compact (carry in one arm) and are vital if you get an inspection like I had yesterday. The 2 & 4 ft ladders were not sufficient ( I am 6’2) to get up in the “peak in attic space”. Of course no attack ladder on these. A standard 10’ ladder would have been too bulky to take all through the house into the master closet. Ladder is not cheap ($200) but, in the long run, you want the right equipment.

Richard W Washington

www.rwhomeinspections.com