New product: Stair and Railing Measurement Disks

Thanks, Nick. Free! Another example of how this Grand Organization ‘gives back’ to its members.
The least you could do is reciprocate in good faith…Life is a 2 way street.

Thanks, Nick. “You’re The Best”

A guard should have supports, spindles, intermediate rails, or some type of ornamental pattern so that a 4-inch (102 mm) sphere cannot pass through it.

A 4 and 3/8-inch (111 mm) sphere restriction is used for the guard on the open side of stair treads.

And a 6-inch (152 mm) sphere restriction is used for the triangular area formed by the riser, tread, and bottom rail of a guard along the open side of a stair.

1 Like

Is that my Grandmother you’re talkin about! and then say we’re like children. It’s not about calibration WAFI its about no marking at all. Like your measuring tapes are calibrated… WAFI

2 Likes

No it’s about your cheep. As for wood. Wood moves within its environment depending upon humidity and temperature. What was calibrated 100 years ago, likely longer considering your age, requires calibration like any piece of measurement equipment.
Getting slow to react to posts. LOL!

Thank you, Robert. :grin:

“A boy from Egypt has been dubbed the “smartest child in the world” after winning first place at a global competition.”

4 Likes

So who’s the child now, putz!

2 Likes

Robert, you are technically correct, but it is my opinion that possibly our average customer will not consider this to be important when we are checking their decks for safety concerns. You may be right, but I approach handrail and guardrail safety from a more practical approach rather than a code compliant angle like you apparently do.

For example, during my inspection this morning (valentines day) I happened to have a new deck that was built by a local worker and did not meet safety standards. In this inspection (and as per usual) I did not use a tape ruler or a foam ball or a plastic disc to take a perfectly composed picture. I used my fist and boot to illustrate how the spacing was much larger than standards at two different sections of the deck guardrail and provided those standards in the narrative for them to read. I wasted no time with discs or balls and I think I communicated the concern clearly. You may disagree and say I should tell my client that the gap is 7.278 inches wide and I’m ok with that. I just want to offer a different perspective that has worked well for me. Be well, my friend.

![IMG_E47791|375x500]

5 Likes

Simple.

4 Likes

Where did you find this training prop?

1 Like

You can’t figure if a sphere will fit within the inside corner of the tread/riser (which is a right-angled trapezoid) with a tape measure alone. Well you could, but you have to know a little math as well. It’s easier with the circle tool.

4 Likes

What kind of advanced alien technology is that? Where can one purchase such an advanced gizmo?

4 Likes

But is it calibrated? I want to see the NIST label.

4 Likes

You’re The Best Bert. I use my fist at times as well. 4" inches when clinched.

You take care as well friend. God bless.

Nick, your mathematical stills are great. Bloody amazing.