To measure or not to measure (tape)

Working through CPI training and just completed safe practices module. This module recommends a tape measure be used for stair treads, balusters spacing, distance between receptacles, etc. I have also been through AHIT’s training. They do not recommend a tape measure be included in kit, citing that 1) inspectors are not code officials, 2) there have been lawsuits against inspectors when they measure some items but either do not measure all items or do not quantify other defects.
Does “All or Nothing” apply in this case? Do you carry a tape in your kit?

I carry a tape just in case I really need one but you can tell by just, for example, walking the stairs. I’ll write something like:

Riser heights on the basement stairs were inconsistent and do not conform to current building standards. Recommend correction for safety.

5 Likes

I will use a tape to confirm my suspicions. An improper step rise will “feel” off. A missing guard for something over 30" will look wrong. I do not put a photo of the measurement in the report. I just describe it as I see it.

Guard rail needed left side porch. Spindle spacing improper and a hazard to children or pets. Improper step rise etc. @spayson has it right in my opinion.

3 Likes

I use body parts that I’ve measured.

Hand for insulation depth and joist size

Belly button for window sill height

Fist for baluster spacing

5 Likes

I carry a two foot folding rule that fits in my belt pouch. Good for treads, risers, balusters etc. but won’t be ‘borrowed’ to measure for curtains and all. I also carry a Bosch laser measure for railing, sill heights (eero), refrigerator openings or anything up to 165’. Dollar store tape measures with my logo are given to clients so they do not ask to borrow and they can stay out of my hair during the inspection.

2 Likes

That folding rule speaks “experience” to me :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Throw one on a table and ask our younger generation(s) what it is… :thinking: :wink:

3 Likes

Forgot to mention the 100 ft tape and the wheel in case I need the distance to the fire hydrant or something like that. But I rarely unpack them. I bet few of you have a 32" level either.

1 Like

I carry a 4’ level and a torpedo level.

1 Like

I carry a 48” Stabila level. Good for patios and gutters.

1 Like

it’s nice to have one handy to hand to the client and say go measure stuff…

2 Likes

That’s a good level. Now I ask you, why would you want a 32" level?

It must have something to do with 16 inches on center.

1 Like

It’s taller than you are? :laughing:

1 Like

Comments like that and I’ll be sickin the leprechauns on ya! :shamrock:

1 Like

Part right. What else?.32" is a common size for what?

Television?

I am just messing around. But, I cannot think of another common measurement. Not sidewalk, not guardrail, I have nothing.

How about door and window framing.

3 Likes

Very nice!