NEW PRODUCT: Wire Gauge Sample Set

Sample pack includes 7 sizes (AWG 14,12,10,8,6,4,2).
All wire is copper phase THHN, cut in 4 inch pieces.
Each wire is clearly labeled with the AWG wire size.

https://wiresamplepack.com/

They’re $25.99 on Amazon, but my website is $2 cheaper.

I started making these during training and now I’m selling them to help me get my home inspection business started.

9 Likes

Are the labels on each wire thermal printing?

No, they’re waterproof polyester labels, with some clear tape over them for extra protection.

3 Likes

Looks nice. Are you planning on doing larger sizes too?

Thanks. I hope to add them in the future.

Nice job Lisa! These will be great for newer inspectors (and some seasoned ones).

One thing you may want to consider; I would put on plenty of warnings and disclaimers like the guy does with the plastic gauges. You don’t want someone with no common sense suing you out of business.

7 Likes

Great idea! They look really nice. Good luck selling them! Ryan is right, disclaim everything,

4 Likes

Thanks Ryan! I had the same thought. The instructions on the packaging reads:

Attention: Wires could have sharp edges, handle with care.
We recommend stripping off 1/2”-1” of the insulation at the end of the wire to expose the copper conductor. This may aid in identifying other wires with thicker insulation.
Caution: Do not place wire samples in direct contact with live wires.

2 Likes

That’s a great idea Lisa, I could have used one of these about 20 years ago when I first started out. I would think many new inspectors would be interested in purchasing one of these as this subject comes up often on this MB.

Best of luck in your new endeavor!!

1 Like

Consideration for future improvement:

Add an orange or red plastic tag with your above statement written on it onto the actual key ring. Of course, you also have to add text on the tag saying “do not remove this tag.” Lol. Sucks having to think about all the ways a person could hurt themselves and how the lawyers would argue it.

5 Likes

Thanks, Kevin!

1 Like

That’s a good idea, thanks.

1 Like

Just curious, but does varying conductor insulation come into factor? I’m pretty sure I’ve read on here that the actual wire gauge may not be conclusive based on thicker insulation? Am I wrong? @rmeier2

2 Likes

Technically, with this set of tools, you would likely strip a little insulation off the end so you can compare the actual conductor size. Comparing just the insulation size of the tool (or gauge) to the insulation size of the conductor in question could be misleading.

1 Like

I agree, that was my first thought. Older wiring has larger insulation, and harder to tell just by comparing these.
The set I have is the gauge that slips over, and they have ones for newer, older, and aluminum conductors.

1 Like

While holding it next to the exposed part of the conductor at the breaker to compare… :zap:

1 Like

Steady hands required.

shaky

6 Likes

Technically, a properly stripped and installed conductor shouldn’t leave enough exposed conductor to compare to!

Then the danger is you forgot a method. The other approach is to say nothing, not imply you’ve listed all the ways to be stupid.

Is it OK to give these to a toddler? Oooh, did I forget to disclaim that one?

1 Like

And dont forget that this may cause cancer in California!! Everything does there for some reason :laughing:

3 Likes