New roof installation

Hey, Mike, a post where everyone agrees, wow! has this ever happened?

Marcel :slight_smile: :smiley: :wink:

Marcel, that dang photo had me standing on my head at first. It’s a good example of an optical illusion. There just wasn’t any decent point of reference.:slight_smile:

Until Barry pointed out the ridge cap it was confusing.

I know what your saying, I felt the same way and that is what I said in the second post.
http://www.nachi.org/forum/showthread.php?t=24263

Marcel :slight_smile:

By golly, you are right.

I was looking at it yesterday on my home CRT, and now can see it very clearly on the 22" LCD.

Thanks,

Ed

Dont’ feel bad Ed, I saw it upside down to.
Good illusional picture if I can say so.

Marcel :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Being dyslexic has it’s advantages, sometimes???

Glad it worked for all our benefit for a change.

Bill or qualified Floridian,

Are the flashing corners required to be mitered too minimize/avoid points of uplift during high wind events?
I’ve not seen this technique before that I can recall.

They should have removed the shingles all around that opening, sealed the base flashing down to the underlayment (30 lb dry-in), secured the base flashing down, then sealed the shingles (trimmed to fit around the vertical section) down to the base flashing, leaving none of the base flashing exposed and all shingles sealed down to each other around and on the base flashing.

In the HVHZ, you don’t step flashing it like is done in other areas with lower risk of ‘high wind events’

If you look at the manufacturer’s instructions from post #14, it is installed correctly (assuming the hidden parts were done properly) and actually has more fastener’s on the exposed edge than required.

The manufacture’s instructions from post #14 show cut corners so it must be manufactured as such. It also saves the manufacturer a few cents per unit in metal to improve the bottom line.

My preference of installation would be as shown in this PDF link where a minimum amount of the flashing is exposed and the metal is installed in roof cement and no visible fasteners that are susceptible to leaking down the road.

http://www.certainteed.com/NR/rdonlyres/CFDCFF5A-0EBA-4F98-A9A4-580857268FB2/0/MSAManual8Ch6.pdf

Marcel :slight_smile:
</IMG>