New thermographer needs advise

Dear Paul:

Welcome to the world of thermography!

With proper care and planning, infrared thermography provides several significant opportunities for home and building inspectors.

As a home inspector, infrared thermography can help you to expand your business and increase revenue. Adding thermography to your existing services can also be advantageous in competitive situations when you are seen as being on ‘the cutting edge’ of technology.

Should you choose to go beyond home inspections, thermographic inspections for commercial and industrial facilities can provide a cash flow in excess of $200,000 per year. Typical applications for these facilities include, but are not limited to, electrical and mechanical systems, HVAC systems, building envelopes, and flat roofs.

In order to maximize your chances for success, you will need to acquire an imager sufficient to the application(s) you intend to provide. You will also need to become certified to at least Level I.

The best advice I can offer is to take your training before you buy an imager. Doing so will allow you to see the many applications of thermography and enable you to make an informed decision regarding an imager purchase.

Should you care to learn more about the potential of thermography, I would invite you to check out our web-based short course, Infrared Thermography for Home and Building Inspectors. This 29 minute presentation is available 24/7 and is free to NACHI members.

If you are ready to start your infrared training now, I would recommend either Infraspection Institute’s 32 hour Level I course ($1695) or our 16 hour course, Infrared Inspections for Home & Building Inspectors ($195 for InterNACHI members). Both are availble as open enrollment classes or via our web-based distance learning program.

Should you have further questions, you may also contact me directly. I wish you the best of luck and look forward to supporting your future endeavors.

You can get financing for your camera.
I was leaning to the E8 but again do not let the 320 x 240 sway your decision.

Many limitations on that camera and its $4,000.

Testo 0563 0875 72 Thermal Imager 875i-2
160 x 120 0.05 0r 50mk, the super resolution algorithm for $400 that doubles to 76,800 pixels manual focus
33hz refresh
PIP
Worth a look. No live video or touch screen.

$3,500
http://www.tequipment.net/Testo_0563-0875-72.html?b=y&v=7945

Sorry for the edit.
Wrong link.

Nice to see you gain some traction here Jim:-)
Anyone ever tell you your the king mate:-)

You deserve a warm welcome to InterNACHI and become IR interNACHI staple.

How so? IIRC the home inspection course is 16 hrs and the level 1 is 32hrs, so do you only have to take 16hrs of the level 1 to get it?

Call Infraspection and find out how the home inspection course is applied toward the level I cert. I don’t know what IICRC has to do with this. I think ITC teaches some of the IICRC-BMT designation courses, but maybe Infraspection too.

I’m ready to pull the trigger for the level 1 course.

LOL; I will, I was using IIRC as “if I recall correctly”

I took the Level I course from ITC.

If nothing else, the science is fascinating.

And I certainly wouldn’t have the same level of understanding of how to use my camera if I hadn’t had taken the in person class with an instructor.

I highly recommend the Level 1 course from Infraspection Institute. Jim is top notch and will help in any way that he can.