New type of Marrette?

I found this junction box with three conductors going in and three out, but all the neutrals are connected in the same connector. I’m not familiar with the connector that was used. It appears to me that all the neutrals are attached to each other. Wouldn’t there be power to the wires unless all three breakers were turned off?

Unless there is a switch involved, in this case all of the white conductors should get spliced together. You definitely have an issue with box fill. :shock:

I wasn’t sure if this connector kept the three neutral pairs separate or if it connected all 6 together. Robert, you’re right on the filled box. This home had all kinds of structural and electrical irregularities. There were 12 junction boxes scattered throughout the basement - sometimes 2 on one line. I think the electrician used up a bunch of shorter wires. I guess junction boxes were cheaper than buying new wires. :shock: :shock:
It also had floor joists that were 2 1/2 feet too short and were hanging on … air - they were butt jointed together with a shorter joist. I swear, sometimes you just have to shake your head. It seemed like this house was built with spare parts.

Those connectors function the same as a wire nut.

If that is a deep 4 sq box and the conductors are #14 it is one under capacity.

I don’t know if you can see it clearly but there are four 14-2 conductors and two 14-3 conductors. It is clearly under capacity. I just wasn’t sure how the connectors work. I’ve recommended rewiring this area. This house had the ugliest wiring job I’ve ever seen.

Four x xx-2 =8, 3 x xx-3=6, plus one for ground =15. Given the conditions stated in my post above it would be at capacity under the NEC. I missed the second xx-3 in my count above.

An extension ring could be added and the box would be fine without rewiring.

I was guessing that they were #12 AWG conductors which exceeds the permitted fill even for a 2 1/8" deep 4X4 box.