Customer complaint.

Originally Posted By: randerson1
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

This was not really a complaint directed towards my inspection but one that came up because of my findings.

As I was inspecting the exterior of the house I located what I thought was a subpanel on the side of a porch. (outside). I carefully opened the cover to examine the box and realized that what I was looking at was a junction box. There were three leads coming in and three leads exiting the box. The box wasn’t grounded or even locked. I advised my client that there this situation needed immediate attention. I advised her to get a certified electrician to check the box to see if it needed to be grounded and to make sure the box was locked. I noted in my report that the box was not grounded and that it needed immediate attention because the box was not locked and was a safety hazard.

The sellers were advised of my findings and hired an electrician to take care of the problem, which he supposedly did?

Now I get a call from the realtor who sold the house telling me that the people had bought the house but now have an issue about the electrical system. So I called the buyer and asked what the problem was. He said. The sellers had hired an electrician to take care of the problem but when he called the electrical inspector to come and inspect the system it failed. The inspector said that the box didn’t need to be grounded as the wires were feeding another subpanel that was already grounded. He said it didn’t hurt anything but it was redundant. The reason he failed it was because he said that junction box needed to be protected by a circuit breaker? Now the new owners are faced with the expense if putting a subpanel in place of the junction box. The new owner didn’t seem to be blaming me but I think he is looking for someone to pay for an expense he didn’t expect. I told him that when the electrician was there that if he knew his stuff should have realized what needed to be done. Not just throw a ground wire on it and call it good. By the way, the electrician didn’t even do anything about locking the box, he just left it the way it was. Securing the box was my main concern in the first place as it was only one foot off the ground and I feared a child may open it and be electrocuted.

I am sure I haven’t heard the end of this. Any advise if I get a call demanding me to pay?

Originally Posted By: Brian A. Goodman

I noted in my report that the box was not grounded and that it needed immediate attention because the box was not locked and was a safety hazard.

Sounds solid to me.

The inspector said that the box didn't need to be grounded as the wires were feeding another subpanel that was already grounded. He said it didn't hurt anything but it was redundant.

I would disagree. I believe the code calls for all metal boxes with live wiring to be grounded, or bonded if you prefer.

The reason he failed it was because he said that junction box needed to be protected by a circuit breaker?

I don't get that one. The feeders are coming from a service panel, going to a subpanel. Could he mean at the service panel? Maybe you should call and talk to him directly; 2nd hand can be misleading.

Any advise if I get a call demanding me to pay?

I don't see how they can possibly hold you responsible. You did your job, you are not the problem.

First talk to the inspector, see what it is he's talking about with that "breaker to protect the junction box". If the inspector is talking bull, get your code references ready to make your case to the client. Convince him you have it right and you're his ally, and he won't ask you for anything but some help with the other two.

Originally Posted By: dbowers

Robert -

In reading your post you say something like "the box needed to be locked and a ground added". I would hope your report did not really try and specify the repair, but simply noted the defects or questionable conditions and recommended review and repair as needed by a licensed electrician.

If the latter you did your job - if the former is true and they found more defects you've left yourself wide open to further complaints.

Originally Posted By: phinsperger

sometimes I’ll also add something like “… who may very well recommend national repairs or upgrades”

Also you said that the box was 1 foot off the ground and I assume the house was in Minnesota. You get more than 1 foot of snow in the winter. Yes? Perhaps the location of the box should also be changed and weather proofed if not already.

--

Paul Hinsperger
Hinsperger Inspection Services
Chairman - NACHI Awards Committee
Place your Award Nominations
here !

Originally Posted By: randerson1

What I stated in my report is that the box wasn’t locked or secured and that it needed immediate attention to keep someone from opening it and that it needed to be checked by an electrician to see if it needed a ground or not. I was sure I was covering all my bases when I wrote the report. By the replys I have gotten so far it appears that I did?

Originally Posted By: jwortham

I will admit I am new to the business so my opinion does not have a lot of basis in experience.

BUT, sounds like you did it exactly right. What more can you do than write it up and recommend it be checked?