New WDO inspection reporting form.

When interpreting written remarks, I was taught to apply the rule of “what a reasonable person” would conclude from it. In that regard, neither statement rules out the possibility that evidence of wood destroying insects did not exist. They simply remark that such evidence was not observed.

In my opinion, neither of these two statements are relevant to my report since I was hired to find such evidence if it were to exist.

Can I write a home inspection report with the canned phrase that “Evidence of structural damage was not observed” and be protected by that…when I missed a lateral crack running the length of the unfinished, bowing basement wall?

One of the statements is the main checkbox in the NPMA 33.

In law, when a statement can be interpreted two ways (which I’ve proven is possible with this thread), the plaintiff may use the interpretation that best supports his claim.

Of course they do…but judges do not always side with plaintiffs. Judges do not always respond as predicted, of course…but what one would reasonably interpret a statement to mean is used more often than the convenient choice of the plaintiff…or the defendant, as far as that goes.

“The blind man picked up his hammer and saw”…does not necessarily describe a miracle cure for blindness derived from touching a hammer…even if the plaintiff says so.;-)’

While our choice of words are important in our official correspondence with our clients, the clarity of the message and what it is intended to convey is very relevant and binding on both sides. When the bank accidentally puts a few extra zeroes at the end of your $1,000 deposit, you don’t get to keep the money no matter what the official bank balance reads on your ATM printout.

If I am contracted to seek and record the existence of evidence of wood destroying insects, saying that I didn’t see it does not mean that it wasn’t there. The NPMA 33 clearly communicates that. I’m not afraid to use it and am not aware of anyone who properly completed it to ever have any problems.

How much does NPMA charge to use their form?

Are you wanting me to say it? That…you get what you pay for? LOL

I use an on-line PDF version (from CBS Forms) that can be emailed and I pay nineteen and a half cents per form. I can email copies of it to myself, the client, the bank, the used house salesman, his contractor…etc…all for the same nineteen and a half cents, since I am only paying once for each completed form.

LOL!