New web site

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Well, here’s my new website. Tell me what you think. You can be brutal. My shoulders aren’t big, but I’m tough! icon_wink.gif I’m only as good as my software. It’s very basic, and no pictures (yet) so it should load fairly fast.

The “tips” I got from a member here, so if it looks familiar, it is.

I think I got a pretty good url catch phrase. Until the URL resolves with the IP address, the website is http://65.108.13.49/ and after it resolves it will be http://certified-inspector.com

I’ve been waiting all week for it to resolve, but not yet I guess!

Kevin

--
Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Originally Posted By: ekartal

Looks good. Perhaps a tad too much scrolling needed to read home page.

Erol K.

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi Kevin,

Good attempt seen much worse, the issues that I saw were, firstly the page width is so big that I have to side scroll to read a line, and secondly the Nachi logo and the signature (Nice touch BTW but where's your smilling face) are both very pixelated.

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

I guess it must depend on how your viewing screen is setup…no scrolling on mine???

ok...yep...my viewscreen is set at 1028x800. and when I went in and changed it to 800x600, you're right...lots of scrolling. What is the norm for screen setting? 800x600?

--

Originally Posted By: ekartal

Yep. I was a web geek. 800x600 is by far the most common.

Erol

This is why I asked for comments…good stuff to know…will make changes, post haste! icon_smile.gif

Hi kevin,

I just switched to match your website size, and it works well, but my middle aged eyes can't read this or other boards at that resolution ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif) ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif) .

regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Originally Posted By: hgordon

Nothing comes up when I try it.

Harvey Gordon

SE Florida NACHI Chapter - President

hgordon@fl.nachi.org

Sorry…I deleted the link until I make the changes that were offered. I’m doing it now as we speak…hang on and I’ll let you know when it’s back up.

Kevin

--

Ok…re-formatted to 800x600. See how it works now.

http://65.108.13.49/

--

Originally Posted By: tallen

I like it .Except that it is very hard to read the black font on the dark blue background.

I have put the past behind me,

where , however, it now sits, making rude remarks.

www.whiteglovehomeinspections.net

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Originally Posted By: ecrofutt

You’re brave to put yourself out there. Stiffen up those tough shoulders. Here’s some constructive criticism for you.

What do you mean no pictues? Everytime I load a new page each one of those gif buttons has to download.

Home:

Nice touch on the scrolling task bar, but I don't like the double inspection.

"Welcome to ABC Home Inspection. Inspections help you..."

Dump the black on dark blue buttons. Not enough contrast to read easy.

Geeze, I hate the overused sherlock holmes with a magnifying glass.

NACHI Logo pixelated with a bunch of white spots.

I've always loved Times-New Roman in my written documents, but it doesn't read as well on the internet as say Arial or Verdana.

Your home page reads more like a qualifications page than a home page. Most HI sites sell their services on the home page, not their qualifications.

WHERE ARE YOU? I don't know Stevens Point or Rhinelander from beans. Where the heck in the world is it?

I'm an advocate of having all your contact information readily available at the TOP of each page.

ABC Home Inspection - at the bottom is hard to read.

Buyer's:

Last paragraph might read better in bullets.

No contact information on page.

Different font size & weight than other pages.

Sellers:

Are they buyers or prospects. Pick one and stick with it.

Inspections:

To technical/detailed and bad ending or no ending.

Pricing:

Detail is poorly formatted for easy reading. Use some bullets, highlights, bold, etc.

Promise is a nice touch. As someone above said, get a picture of your happy smiling face to back it up.

Sample Report:

Clicking on the sample report link takes me off and away from your site. Don't do that. Have the report open in a new window so that your site is still on their screen when they're done looking at the report. Some issues with your report to, but maybe later on that.

Tips:

Reads very poorly due to formatting.

Tip #4 combines two areas. Doesn't say anyting about removing covers on furnace.

Tip #5 takes away one of the clues that can help tell you how well the HVAC system has been taken care of. Dump it.

Tip #8 HUH? "Also check to be sure that all interior doorlatch to the strike plate."

How many times do you think your seller's are going to actually visit your web site to read these?

Did I mention that: Geeze, I hate the overused sherlock holmes with a magnifying glass. OK, so this one's not constructive.

Now you've got to get it findable on search engines. I started with the free search engine submission availabe at www.addme.com .

--
Erby Crofutt
B4U Close Home Inspections
Georgetown, Kentucky

www.b4uclose.com

Quote:
but I don't like the double inspection.

Noted and taken care of. Thanks.
Quote:
Dump the black on dark blue buttons. Not enough contrast to read easy.

If someone can tell me the HTML Code for the color white, I'll change the font color.
It comes up clear as a bell on my screen, however on my moms computer it's dark (but lots of sites and pics are dark. I think it's the monitor really)

Quote:

Tough...you're not my target audience, and they probably have never seen it. ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

Quote:
NACHI Logo pixelated with a bunch of white spots.

I've tried and tried to get those damn spots out, so the best I could do is make it a white border.
Quote:
I've always loved Times-New Roman in my written documents, but it doesn't read as well on the internet as say Arial or Verdana.

Noted and changed. Originally I had it as arial, but then everyone does and I wanted to be different. Sometimes different isn't always good. I changed it back.

Quote:
Your home page reads more like a qualifications page than a home page. Most HI sites sell their services on the home page, not their qualifications.

The idea was to sell my company. Something that sets me apart from the competition. I like it, and right now it's staying.
Quote:
WHERE ARE YOU? I don't know Stevens Point or Rhinelander from beans. Where the heck in the world is it?

I figured the "SERVING CENTRAL AND NORTHWEST WISCONSIN" in bold letters at the top of the homepage would give people a pretty good idea.

Quote:
ABC Home Inspection - at the bottom is hard to read.

I increased the font. It looked clear on my screen, so that's probably a monitor issue.
Quote:
Buyer's:

Last paragraph might read better in bullets.

No contact information on page.

Different font size & weight than other pages.

That's the way it's written on the NACHI page, so I'll defer to them.
I added the contact info on that page also.
The font size now matches the rest of the pages.
Quote:
Sellers:

Are they buyers or prospects. Pick one and stick with it.

You're right...I changed it to buyers.

Quote:
Pricing:

Detail is poorly formatted for easy reading. Use some bullets, highlights, bold, etc.

Promise is a nice touch. As someone above said, get a picture of your happy smiling face to back it up.

For some reason or another I can't get the bullets working but did the best I could to correct in a better reading format.
Only pictures of my mug in the last 10 years are me in camo holding dead critters in my hands, so until I get gussied up and get a good shot of my ugly mug, noone is going to see what I look like!
Quote:
Sample Report:

Clicking on the sample report link takes me off and away from your site. Don't do that. Have the report open in a new window so that your site is still on their screen when they're done looking at the report. Some issues with your report to, but maybe later on that.

That was my first ever attempt at working with Reporthost, and I know the faults in the report. They've gotten much better since, but I can't publish the other reports for privacy reasons.

I also wrote the code so the report pops up on a seperate page. Good tip.
Quote:
Tips:

Reads very poorly due to formatting.

After I published it, I had the same feeling on "how many sellers are going to read this?". I change it to "how to read a home inspection report" That should work better.

As soon as my website resolves with my URL, I'll send it to search engines. The company I go thru sends the site to something like 50 search engines for free.

Erby, Thanks again for all the constructive remarks. It sure does help to have a few sets of eyes.

I still think you've got the coolest name for a home inspection company!
(but I think you're site is a little too busy, but then again, I like it simple)

I gotta get some sleep!

Kevin

--

Originally Posted By: Vince Santos

Creating a site is a pain in the neck! icon_sad.gif

I just got mine back up..it's needs some tweaking but let me know what you think.

StepByStep Home Services LLC
www.stepbystepinspections.com

and no I am not affiliated with
the other Step By Step

--
Desire is half of life, indifference is half of death.
--Kahlil Gibran

Originally Posted By: hgordon

Why do you take such a negative thing and then associate your company to it?

3. We use a standards of practice to ensure the most critical items are inspected. WHOS? Sounds wishi washie.

4. On the contact.htm page there is a "Hot Topic:", do you plan on using it?

5. Loose the drop shadow on StepByStep Home Services LLC...it looks cheap.

6. One of the ICONS on the top right links to sitemap.htm which has a link to "Home Tips"...why isnt that on the left navigation area?

7. "Your best interest is my first priority...." if this is a personal quote, add your signature or name, like; Vice Santos, Owner and Chief inspector.

8. Too much scrolling towards the bottom on the main page...then you loose the navigation.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Originally Posted By: rpierson

Great Info Erby!!!

You are so very correct in your advice!

I think I got most of the bugs worked out and changes made…Had to learn HTML and input most by hand. Trying to figure out what FormMail was, and how to program it properly was a little time consuming to say the least.

Figured out why I wasn’t resolving with the IP address finally. Had IP adress listed in the domain server name column…so it will take up to 96 hours more to resolve.

Anyway...the finished product...even managed to get my mug on there ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)
http://65.108.13.49/

--

Hi Kevin

Looks like you made good progress with this in the last few days, my only comments are, the text on your home page is not centered to its fiels properly, and the Text in you navigation button would look better centered vertical in the bottons.

Good job

BTW, I love to photo with the certificates in the background (but the signayure still needs work (try signing with a heavy marker rather than a pen it will scan easier)

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Gerry, I was actually working on that section when you were browsing, so It should look better now. Thanks for the tips…

Can’t do anything with centering the text in the buttons now as I would have to revamp the whole thing and start over…oh well!

Gotta get a marker for the signature thing…all I had was a ball point pen handy!! icon_biggrin.gif

Originally Posted By: ecrofutt

Quote:
Quote:

Tough...you're not my target audience, and they probably have never seen it.

Love that response even if I hate the Sherlock Holmes.

Quote:
Quote:

I figured the "SERVING CENTRAL AND NORTHWEST WISCONSIN" in bold letters at the top of the homepage would give people a pretty good idea.

It would if I had read it, but I was busy reading the contact information at the bottom of the page.

Ya got a good attitude. Keep plugging away.

--
Erby Crofutt
B4U Close Home Inspections
Georgetown, Kentucky

www.b4uclose.com