Website Pointers

Originally Posted By: jpope
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I have asked Chris to take a look at my site and give me any advice that he could offer. He said he would be happy to help so long as it was placed in a “public forum” on the message board so that all NACHI members could benefit from his advice.

So here we go - http://www.jpinspectionservice.com

Any and all comments welcome ![icon_rolleyes.gif](upload://iqxt7ABYC2TEBomNkCmZARIrQr6.gif)

Thanks in advance

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: ismetaniuk

This membership was a big waste of my time!

Igor

Top To Bottom Inspections

Glen Spey, NY

I certainly don’t mind moving this to the Members Only section if Chris would like to do that. I just kinda piggy backed off Todd’s earlier post in this section.

Chris??

--
Jeff Pope
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: Chris Morrell

Nah – let’s keep it out in the open. I like to keep as little in the members-only section as possible. I’ll be posting a critique soon.

Chris Morrell

Director of Information Technology

http://www.nachi.org/

![](upload://zyMdGE1CBj8rvoYrW2RbOkey4WW.html)

C’mon man icon_surprised.gif The suspense is killing me

You still there Chris ?

--
Jeff Pope
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: mzwerin

ly. Add the “e”

3. On page 7… “All prices are negotiable” ? Really, are they? I personally am not one that wants to publish the pricelist.

4. Make sure that all your pages load with a page title.

5. The page width is set about 20 pixels or so wider than your artwork across the top of the page. Kewl artwork effect too! You might want to tighten it up a bit.

6. Lastly, you need to work on the details in the <head> section of your pages. Gotta add the title, keywords and description. Very important if you want search engines to list your site.

This is a report of my "visual inspection" of your site. Hope it helps.

Originally Posted By: neil a craig

JP, I liked it, I think the two guys look like ‘code’ inspectors though, maybe a guy on a roof ? or someone looking at a fuse box ? just my input for the day.

N&J icon_cool.gif

Michael,

Absolutely, I am interested in feedback from others, thank you. Fixed the typo, took out the "negotiable," left the prices. Still debating on whether or not to leave them posted.

As for the technical stuff, I'm still learning. Most of this was created using templates. I'll brush up on my html and see if I can't "tighten" things up a little. Workin' on titles, keywords etc. I do appreciate the critique.

Neil,

I'll be replacing the guys with a picture of an inspector performing a home inspection (possibly me). Still working out the bugs. Thanks for the input. Looking forward to more from anyone willing.

--
Jeff Pope
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: dvalley

Jeff,

Not only would I get rid of the look-alike code enforcers(front page), but you need to get rid of the pics of commercial buildings on your site. You are a Home Inspector inspecting Houses not commercial buildings.

I realize that you want to advertise your educational background, but the HI links need to go. The ITA link and the Kaplan Professional Schools link should not be on your site. You clients will not be interested in these links. They are seeking info on your services, not education on HI. If HI education would interest your client then fine, add it. Other than that they are useless links that belong on NACHI, not JPI.
Just my two pesos worth.

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Originally Posted By: roconnor

Mike … are you trying to say that your non-invasive visual examination of the website was not technically exhaustive … icon_lol.gif

I agree it looks a little "corporate" with the pic of two guys reading the plans.

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?
NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Thanks guys for your opinions. I will be changing the “corporate” looking picture soon. This was simply the “best fitting” template I had available at the time.

I'll take a few more opinions as to the links page before I make a decision whether or not to remove the "educational links." Not that I don't have several other Real Estate related links that I could place there instead. I have a bit of an ulterior motive for the ITA link ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif) (other than the fact that I attended ITA).

--
Jeff Pope
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: Chris Morrell

Jeff,

Sorry it took me so long to reply.

I generally agree with the comments above. The image in the main design doesn't sit quite right for me, as well, but I feel like the design immediately conveys the image of an established and professional company. Here are some additional comments:

The angle of the navigation bar looks a little funny with the fixed-width buttons. Perhaps you could either straighten the navbar's background, or adjust the size of the upper buttons appropriately.

Also, the point where the navbar meets the header of the page doesn't blend quite right.

The rollover images for the navbar buttons load a bit slow. You might want to optimize them for the web. The bottom buttons also show the wrong rollover image (When you put your mouse over "Links" you see the "Inspection Prices" rollover image).

I'd recommend naming your pages something meaningful, rather than "page2.html" -- this will help you with search engines as well as let people know where they are on your page.

The blue/underlined headings on your "Why JPI" page look like links. Why not use a h1 or h2 tag?

Put a link to your contact info within your prices page. Where it says "Call for quote" -- why don't you put "Call (661) 212-0738 for a quote." Also, you might want to add "sq. feet" after your figures. Most people won't read that opening paragraph, and though we know what you're talking about, some clients won't.

The Java counter is a pain. If someone makes me load sun's Java Console to run their site, it has to be for a good reason. There are plenty of other counters out there -- why don't you try one that's image based?

Generally a site is built such that you're guiding your user to where you want them to go. Go through each page and ask yourself, "where should they go from here?" Once you've decided the natural progression of the site (typically, welcome >> about us/why choose us >> prices >> contact info), add links to each page that help your users go where you want them to go.

Add more links within each page. "JPI and the Matrix reporting system exceed all current standards" can have a link to your "inspection reports" page, and "Graduate of Inspection Training Associates" can have a link to the ITA in it. Try to make the links that point away from your page open in a new window. That way you don't lose your client to another site.

I see nothing wrong with keeping the links to the education sites, but let your users know why they're there. Add a short description of each link and why it's relevant to your site.

Code-wise I would would recommend trimming the rollover javascript. It's much longer than it has to be. What software did you use to create this page? You can trim a lot of your code down by using CSS rather than FONT tags and tables. The code for your links page could be half the size it is if you removed the font tags and cleaned up the javascript.

Overall it's a pretty good job, considering you're just beginning. Play around with it a little more and you could have quite a nice website.

--
Chris Morrell
Director of Information Technology
http://www.nachi.org/

![](upload://zyMdGE1CBj8rvoYrW2RbOkey4WW.html)

Chris,

Thanks for the advice. Most of what you said was way over my head. I've got some resources I'll use to interpret your post.

I'll keep working on it and asking for feedback from others as well. You can see, most of these guys are willing and able to help out. It seems as if most are on the same page. ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

To Be Continued . . .

--
Jeff Pope
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: DShelton

Jeff,

My only comment would be to either change the color of the side bars to indicate you are at that page or change your page numbers to reflect your page content. I like to know where I am and I always look in the address field to determine where I am if it isn’t clear on the page or the side bar or top bar. Just one page where it didn’t indicate where I was and that was the About Us page and because I didn’t know where I was because of normal indicators, I fumbled a bit trying to figure out where to go next.

Other than that, it looks very good, very professional, good content and I give it a thumbs Up! ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Debby
www.sheltonwebs.com

Debby,

Here's my dilema. I created this website using templates provided by my web host. I'm working on a few things such as the page #'s and the "construction looking" picture at the top. I am very much a beginner in web design so it may take a little while to get it together. ![icon_rolleyes.gif](upload://iqxt7ABYC2TEBomNkCmZARIrQr6.gif)

Thanks for the feedback. Sorry for the delayed response, I just got home from the ITA convention (I left a little early). I'll continue to plug away and take in the wisdom of others even if it's not showing up on my site yet.

--
Jeff Pope
(661) 212-0738

Jeff, Darn fine job for a beginner! It looks great. You’ll pick up the other stuff as you go along. Front Page and Templates work great for small sites. You don’t have to get into Dreamweaver, Flash or Fireworks or the other fancy stuff, you just have to have a site that is neat, clean and professional and you accomplished just that.

Debby

Thanks !! icon_biggrin.gif

Jeff Pope

“At JPI, we’ll help you look better”

(661) 212-0738

Jeff,

I have a question. On your last page you have a link to send people to find an inspector in their area. Why give away business? They already found you, they don’t need anyone else. icon_wink.gif

Deb

Debby,

The thought behind that is this;

If they're already looking in my area, my listing will come up several times and usually on top as I have saturated the "find an inspector" locator with my zipcodes. ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

Second, if they happened onto my site simply by chance, I wanted to direct them to other NACHI inspectors.

Your thoughts?

Anyone else have thoughts on this?

--
Jeff Pope
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: dvalley

Quote:
Why give away business? They already found you, they don't need anyone else.

If you want to share potential home inspections (in your area) with your fellow NACHI inspectors, then go for it. To each his own.

If a potential customer is looking for an inspector in your area and is comparing prices and qualities, and they land on your site...you've got them hooked. Don't let them leave. Keep them on your site by adding interesting topics that they want to hear, concerning their potential dream home. If you give them an easy way out to other inspectors, then bye-bye. Especially if your not competitive.

Don't open your back doors for anyone. Leave the front doors wide open but lock the rear door. Keep your company entertained until they are completely satisfied with your results and they bite. Gotcha

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."