New White Leviton Panel

I think this is the first time I’ve seen one of these where the neutral wires are attached right next to the breaker connections. The panels just have an overall different look. Most obviously, since they’re white but also the breakers look really different.

At first the neutral wire attachment was a bit confusing but once looking at the way it’s setup it becomes clear pretty quickly. In this case I suspect the sparky may have been confused too since the green bonding screw was fully driven and should have been left out (shut-off indicating boding at the meter base outside).

Lastly, is it just me or does every new panel have a new and far worse method of attaching the cover? Is it really that tough to just put 4 or 6 screws at the edges? This one sets the upper and lower screws inward from their normal orientation (easy enough, I suppose) but the cover didn’t line up well with the breakers and there were large gaps until I messed with it and was able to force the cover to one position with all the screws partially retracted. Aside from fingers or tools getting in the gaps (admittedly very unlikely) in Hawaii the damn geckos get in there (fwiw, this house was in Oregon). Anyway, thought you all might like to see one of these before you encounter it on an inspection. I called out the bonding and the construction dust/debris. I let the gaps go since it was possible to get the cover set straight, albeit with some effort.

On edit (and glad I have not sent the report yet) - I’m thinking the bond screw I see is just attaching the ground bus to the panel casing. I think the empty hole to the right is the neutral/ground bond. Any opinions/experience?

IMG_4034
IMG_4035
IMG_4036
IMG_4037

Rather than continuing to edit my OP I’ll just add this - Doing some research and it looks like this is a “smart panel” - the breakers have A LOT of features like wifi connectivity, etc.

https://www.clementselectric.com/single-post/wow-the-leviton-load-center-hits-the-market

More explanation: Hands-On with The Leviton Load Center with Cerrone Builders and Barlow Electric - YouTube

2 Likes

Yeap, pretty cool load center, can be wired before breakers are installed, among its other features.

The missing bonding strap connects the neutral bus on the right to the grounding on the left, so the neutral is not bonded:

4 Likes

Thanks! Great graphic and what I was trying to find. It’s funny how the longer I do this the more I doubt myself :slight_smile: Meaning, I REALLY want to be sure I’m correct. At the inspection I saw the green screw and just immediately thought “bonded at the panel”. It wasn’t until I got home and was looking more closely at the pics that I saw the other empty hole.

1 Like

Great post. Haven’t seen one yet. Now everything requires both halves (neutral and hot) of the circuit in order to operate. Switch boxes need a neutral. 'Course if the panel was so smart it would have told you about the bonding strap. :grinning: Do they have panels that talk yet?
confused-animated-smiley

1 Like

Yeah, I can’t help but think something has to go wrong with all this tech and these will be the Federal Pacific of the 2040s.

Have you seen the Eaton AFCI/GFCI breakers that flash a code to tell you what tripped them?

Not that I remember… this stuff is getting so high-tech I can’t even imagine what it must cost to wire a house today.

1 Like

I think solid state is the next move, heck…it might already be in production.

1 Like

Check out some of the things the Savant panels can do.

1 Like

Good stuff!

https://www.savant.com/

Sadly, the latest generation probably has no clue what a breaker is, much less on how to reset one. And 80% of their parents are in the same boat…

1 Like

Of course all of this will be useless when we no longer have the means to produce electricity. Hope you know how to ride a horse and chop wood.

2 Likes

Come on Bob, the efficiency of lunar panels has increased dramatically. We are on the cusp of being able to harvest the dark to make electricity.

Soon we wil be able to shine lights fed from a solar panel directly on a solar panel and have unlimited electricity.

2 Likes

The new panel design make it easier for sparky with no neutral wire jumper for the AFCI breakers.

That makes sense… those little “slinky” neutrals did seem to take up a lot of space.

Square D offer plug on CAFI breakers for QO panels. They also offer a diagnostic routine for determining breaker trip.

As in proof it was my wife running two blow dryers and a curling iron simultaneously? Maybe a printout like when you go to Autozone with a check-engine light on your car? That could come in handy around my house :slight_smile: :slight_smile: