Next INFRARED CERTIFIED CLASS

Next INFRARED CERTIFIED CLASS

**Jan 8 - 9, 2011 **(16 hours)
Class available by internet or by toll free teleconference.

John, You are killing me with a 6am start here on the West Coast. :shock:

Yes… but you get off at 3pm for your afternoon nap…:mrgreen:

Too bad…I wanted to gift away to another member the class I won at the Christmas party. I was told no it was not transferable…as if it matters who takes it.:roll:

Here is a cheaper, and probably as effective, way to become IR Certified.

Take both video IR courses which is ten hours and the the written green course is 8 hours
totaling 18 hours, which is acceptable for this requirement.

Current Requirements: (subject to change) for professional designation and logo usage:

1. You or your inspection company must own, lease or be renting an infrared camera.
  2. You must be a member in good standing of InterNACHI. Membership requirements are at: http://www.nachi.org/membership.htm
  3. You must complete InterNACHI’s online Electrical course (free), including all quizzes within, and pass its final exam.
  4. You must complete InterNACHI’s online Plumbing course (free), including all quizzes within and pass its final exam.
  5. You must complete InterNACHI’s online Roofing course (free), including all quizzes within and pass its final exam.
  6. You must complete InterNACHI’s online HVAC course (free), including all quizzes within and pass its final exam.
  7. You must complete InterNACHI’s online Structural course (free), including all quizzes within and pass its final exam.
  8. You must complete InterNACHI’s online Exterior Inspection course (free), including all quizzes within and pass its final exam.
  9. You must complete InterNACHI’s online Attic, Insulation, Ventilation and Interior Inspection course (free), including all the quizzes within and pass its final exam.
  10. You must complete InterNACHI’s online Moisture Intrusion Inspection course (free), including all the quizzes within and pass its final exam.
  11. You must complete InterNACHI’s online Energy Audit course (free), including all the quizzes within and pass its final exam.
  12. You must take at least 16 hours (two days) of Continuing Education devoted to infrared cameras/thermal imagery or building science in addition to the online courses required for InterNACHI membership and the courses listed above.

That’s funny Chris.

This course indicates it is non-certification

http://www.nachi.tv/infrared/introduction-infrared-thermography.htm

Hey, come on! There’s a Certificate of Completion to add to the stack!!

Funny, I asked the same question and the answer was yes. Straight from the horses mouth…

Answers subject to change. DUH! Come on you should know that by now!

There is no conflict. The course, any course for that matter (ALONE) does not get you Infrared Certified](http://www.nachi.org/ir.htm), it only gets you a course certificate of completion.

Requirements to earn the Infrared Certified professional designation are at www.nachi.org/ir.htm

If there is anything confusing about the requirements listed at www.nachi.org/ir.htm , let me know.

You must take at least 16 hours (two days) of Continuing Education devoted to infrared cameras/thermal imagery or building science in addition to the online courses required for InterNACHI membership and the courses listed above. http://www.nachi.org/ir.htm

I made the video course and it clearly states it is a “non-certification” class. It was intended to be an introduction ONLY (as the title states).

The minimum requirement is a 16 hour (two day class) and is suppose to be about “infrared cameras/thermal imagery and building science” (not a green course or short little videos that only give a brief introduction overview).

Since I was one of the creators of both the brief IR video and the full 16 hour IR certification class, I can tell you that there is no comparison in the amount of details and needed instructions for IR.

Why would someone want to scam the system (just for a logo) and not learn the needed skills to do a home inspection IR scan? InterNACHI set up the requirements, that are geared for our industry, to help people learn.

Anyone can “pass” and give the prize to another member during the time that Nick hands out the gifts. I have done that several times myself. If someone takes the gift, and then is processed into the enrollment of our class (and given access to all the class material), they cannot turn around and hand the prize to others after they are enrolled. Sorry. There is a time for everything. There is still time for you to take the class you enrolled for, if you like. Nothing has been taken from you and it is still yours. Simply show up for class, the door is still open.

I don’t know why so many folks give John such a hard time for charging $500 bucks for a two day introductory level Infrared Course?

If your planning on joining InterNachi (like I was) and your plannning on ever getting into IR (which everybody will sooner or later) or have just gotten into IR than it’s a no-brainer! The free $250 InterNachi membership drops the course down to $250 bucks for 2 full days of IR introduction and discussion.

Everybody has to start somewhere. The class is an entry level class but good discussions do come up amongst the group and everybody WILL learn something. All these online InterNachi courses are great but there’s no discussions, bouncing ideas off each-other, hearing and learning from others mistakes, more in-depth explanations if you need them, etc…

Most Infrared Inspectors want consider doing a 3 hour inspection for less than $300 bucks but rip john to pieces for charging $500 for a two day course that offers 3 times that in savings and benefits.

There is a HUGE need for a cheap introductory level IR class. Inspectors who are undecided on weather or not they want to get involved with IR need a cheap intro class vs. having to spend $1600 bucks for a Level 1 course. After taking John’s cheaper intro course, should they decide they want a camera, their $500 will be more than returned via InterNachi IRCertified equipment discounts along with the option of obtaining Level 1 training for $800 bucks.

I’m not some huge John fan or long-time friend considering I’ve only spoken to him before and during the class nearly a year ago but I never saw anything but benefits come from taking the class.

The only thing I might not agree with is the whole “Infrared Certified” concept but it’s not really any different than the “Certified Home Inspector” concept. The good home inspectors continue to seek advanced training long after becoming an InterNachi Certified Inspector. The good IR inspectors will do the same but for alot cheaper after taking the InterNachi beginner class.

I guess I’m just wondering what john is doing wrong?

Should there not be any form of cheap intro level IR training?

Is he charging to much for what the class provides the student in return?

Should the name be changed to “InterNachi Infrared Certified”?

I’m not trying to argue with anyone’s opinion because I believe we are all entitled to our opinions. None of us are really right or wrong considering they are our personal opinions.

I’m just curious about other folks opinion of what John is doing wrong?

I think it has to do with some of us having observed, first hand, how the “instructor” went from buying his first camera and NOT being Level 1 trained or certified to (within a matter of a few short weeks) writing a course and sharing his instant “expertise” with others for $500 a pop.

It’s nice that you got something out of it, but from your description of the value of the course as being introductory it would appear that the only thing a graduate would actually be “certified” to do is to buy a camera.

Many of the “Level 1” instructors aren’t even home inspectors, they are only IR camera-centric, camera experts, which to me is like being a CO2 gas-powered, nail gun expert, but without any experience in carpentry.

Pay attention to my next sentence (and try to get your head around it): Most of what you’ll need to correctly interpret the data from your IR camera comes not from what you’re pointing, but rather what you’re pointing at.

Giving titles to the different courses in “levels” so as to falsely imply that a very simple technology is so complicated that it will produce no useful information until you get (and of course pay for) the higher level training was slick. The scheme keeps the suckers all fighting (and paying) to earn numerical rank. I’m pretty slick myself, and so to me, the scheme is transparent.

If you are a home inspector who wants to buy a camera, learn how to use it to serve your clients, and improve your home inspection business… get your training from someone like John, a home inspector who bought a camera, learned how to use it to serve his clients, and improved his home inspection business.

When I took my first certification course from FLIR-ITC several years ago, the instructor said the “little Level II and Level III thermographers have a hard time passing his building science course”.

During the class, over a dozen Level II and Level III thermographers ALL said that they were not qualified, nor would they attempt to do an infrared building inspection because they were not qualified.

It was also brought out in the class that the vast majority of Level III thermographers in north America had no construction background and could not do an infrared building inspection.

During the field use of the training class, the Level II and Level III thermographers were asking me to help them understand what they were seeing through their infrared cameras. Why? Because I had 25 years experience in construction and many years as a home inspector.

I assisted Will Decker (Level II) with writing the INFRARED CERTIFIED class material. At that time, I had more years in construction and Will Decker had more years in thermal imaging. Together we put together an entry level IR class to help home inspectors use the infrared camera. Will Decker taught the first class and I did not actually teach a class without Will Decker being present until my first year of IR experience was complete. I owe much of my learning of many things to him. He is a great teacher. Will Decker is the co-author of our IR class and was the first teacher to hold classes. He was my mentor in that regard. I give credit to him where credit is due.

James Bushart mocked thermal imaging for years and then turned around and bought a sub standard IR camera (that is rejected by RESNET) and sells his infrared skills. To this day he has taken NO training and yet tells everyone that cheap IR cameras and poor training is very shameful. But he is using a cheap IR camera (80x80 resolution is not approved by RESNET) and sells his skills to the public, even though he has NO IR training.

If James B wants to correct any facts about InterNACHI’s infrared class I am open to listen to him. It will be hard for me to respect him, but I will try to listen.

In theory, this makes sense, but in practicality…tell me this, Nick.

For the sake of this discussion, let’s take the named inspector out of the equation. Tell me, if a guy can buy a camera and in only a few short weeks (less than two months) acquire the necessary skills to actually write a course and teach others what he learned in that short time…could not anyone else buy a camera, read the instructions, and perform at the same level in the same short period of time?

My question boils down to this…if my teacher taught himself in a couple of weeks, why can’t I?

I never wrote an IR course in less than two months after buying an IR camera.
Please provide proof.

Hi, John.
Do you have any promotion for Canadian members to buy IR camera from you if taking your courses? Please let me know.
Thanks

Tim