Observation from Mock inspection

Michael,
I know all too well how the system in PA and NJ works.
I advise my clients accordingly…
give them my recommendations with substantiation of the defect…
and advise them what the Municipal Inspector / Builder / Contractor will and/or is going to tell them going forward.

As I said…
I did my job…

The house was winterized. Everything was turned off when I got there. The property is in foreclosure

So noted…
you did not turn on electrical elements already off.

But upwards of 70+ circuits on 200 Amp with multiple 220 / 240
seems excessive…

While it may work…
it may also not work effectively…

I am confused by your UL inspector comment.

I used to inspect to that standard in another life working for an NRTL.

Michael,

One of my Standard Comments …

Main Panels (Sub Panels)
- Installation, Upgrade, Replacement, Addition of Panels and circuit wiring within a Home Requires Permitting and Inspection.
- Recommend obtaining copies of all municipal permits and inspection reports with regard to the electrical components of the home.

Underwriter’s Approval
- Installation, Upgrade, Replacement, Addition of Panels and circuit wiring within a Home Requires Underwriter’s Approval in addition to Municipal Permitting and Inspection.
***- Recommend obtaining copies of all Electrical Underwriting Reports / Inspections prepared for the Property. ***

I can defer to an Electrician…
But

• If the Installation was made by someone duly licensed…
  • Permitted and Inspected by the Municipality.
  • Inspected and Approved by an Electrical Underwriter

Is it wrong…
or accepted?

So in this situation, do I write it as “Unable to determine electrical capabilities due to property being winterized, should be evaluated by qualified electrician”

If the property is winterized with most Electrical Components in the OFF position.
Yes,
Recommend and Defer…

That many circuits on a 200 Amp home
is a Large Home Improperly wired…
or
a Small Home Improperly wired.

Absent of proof of Inspection / Certification by Underwriter…
The Electrical Systems need review by Electrician (Minimum) and/or Underwriter (Maximum)

Based upon the (limited) photos presented…
I could not conclusively inspect and rate the electrical system…

I cannot imagine why I would advise a client to obtain the UL report for any product.

The AHJ is the one looking for the UL other NRTL label.

Maybe they do it differently in PA.

It appears that the sub panel needs a separate grounding terminal. The two terminals appear to be joined by the tie-bar running between them. There also appears to be a bonding screw in the terminal which bonds these terminals to the enclosure.

Bonding screw should be removed, and the egc’s should be installed on a separate bus that is bonded directly to the enclosure.

… and yes, better pictures would help :wink:

Prior to July 2007,
The State of PA did not have a Building Code.
Also,
Prior to 2007
Contractors, Builders, Plumbers, HVAC, Electricians, etc… (Outside of Union Trades) did not have to be licensed, insured, and/or certified.

Since I have been doing this since 2000, it is why Underwriter Inspections have had a greater importance in this area.
Your market may vary…

You still had AHJs Joe, right?

The ones here specifically look for the UL mark

And we have had building codes for a very long time here.

prior to 2007?
No
Most municipalities never had Code
and lack of Code

no need for Code enforcement.

Wow, I had no idea Joe. Thanks for sharing.

especially difficult for Re-Lo clients to understand
(Astra Zeneca, SAP, Synthes, etc,)
They have a higher expectation of a home based upon the area that they are relocating from…