Observation from Mock inspection

I am doing my mock inspections and wanted to know if what I am seeing is correct. 1 pic main panel, 2ndand 3rd pic are sub-panel. I am also realizing the importance of better pictures.

Sub-panel is not grounded nor is it bonded to main panel
neutrals and grounds are bonded on same buss in sub-panel (left side)
neutral buss on right side of sub appears to be bonded to box
electrical tape on feeds ?

Anything else I should be seeing ?

Is there a generator associated with this property or a connection for one?

No generator or connection for one that I saw

Some neutrals and grounds are doubletapped on the bottom left busbar of the main panel. As of 2003(or 02) neutrals must all have individual terminals on the busbar.

If service conductors or the conductors to the subpanel are aluminum they must be treated with an anti-oxidant coating to prevent corrosion. Tape would have to come off to confirm that anyway. Your statement “Sub-panel is not grounded nor is it bonded to main panel” isn’t clear to me. There is a third conductor which will act as a neutral or a ground depending on how the subpanel is corrected by an electrician. It is performing at least one of those functions now. Perhaps saying “The subpanel is not properly wired with an isolated neutral and a separate grounding conductor” would be better.

It is hard to see everything with those photos, some up close shots which break up the full view into parts is a good practice.

Double tapping is the wrong term. That term applies to the breakers.

I simply state that Neutrals are intended to be under a screw by them selves.

Number of circuits looks excessive for a Residential 200 Amp Service.
And why are so many wired circuits in the Off Position?
Is the Residential or Commercial?
Not enough information…

That’s why I asked about gen set hookup.

Tomato, tomatoe. Many electricians call it that and the clients get it.

Okay, okay, here you go.

“*Multiple neutrals are bundled, connected, combined, joined, cleaving, linked, tied together, sharing a screw:shock:, getting too friendly at the busbar… but they are **not *"doubletapped”."

There’s a couple options for ya. :mrgreen:

Don’t be so touchy. :wink:

Actually, I kinda like “sharing a loose screw” even better. :wink:

Neutrals have always required termination in separate holes as part of the panel’s listing. The 2002 NEC added the wording to make installers more aware of this fact since most do not read listing requirements.

If you mention using anti-ox on aluminum conductors do not say that it’s required because, although it’s a good idea, it is not required.

Good clarification, it would fall under a “best practices” heading.

Agreed

I was always instructed to refer to neutrals as double lug. Breakers are double tap

Agreed :slight_smile:

Underwriter’s accept double lugs all the time and slap their sticker on them.
As a Home Inspector in PA, I can only defer to an Electrician or Underwriter
The Underwriter aceppting the Electricians work (accepting responsibility) has already rendered his opinion…

So with a recent sticker
and my recommendation for Underwriter Review (Re-Review)…
guess the outcome…

I disagree…

UL 67 standard for panel boards clearly states the double lugging of neutrals is not permitted.

http://www.structuretech1.com/2011/05/double-tapped-neutrals/

I know…
and
You Know…

but
If an Underwriter Electrical Inspector accepts and signs off…
I did my job…
Still wrong
but deemed OK

When does this happen?

Don’t you have AHJ’s enforcing the NEC?

LOL…
you are kidding …
Right?