OHIB meeting cancelled

I agree with your view Jim in the sense that licensing DOES create the illusion that all “licensed” inspectors are the same, are equally skilled, equally knowledgeable, and equally able to communicate defects in a clear and precise way. They are not.

But at the same time the law does create a minimum standard that inspectors must adhere to, such as adhering to state SOP & COE requirements, required CEs and background checks just to name few. Before the law, anyone could pick up a flashlight and call themselves a home inspector, and this was a sad reality that IMO hurt the public more than the illusion that all licensed inspectors are the same.

1 Like

But they can never stop there can they? :wink:

2 Likes

Kevin, please help me understand the advantage to me … as a consumer … of knowing that the licensed inspector who is not skilled, knowledgeable, and able to effectively communicate all that is wrong with the house I am about to buy is demonstrating his deficiencies ethically and in accordance with a state SOP. I’m struggling with this.

1 Like

One example of many I’ve heard about Jim.

Inspector showed up with a flashlight, no ladder, no other tools. After the abbreviated so called inspection the client received an illegible 2 page hand written report.

This can’t legally happen for a fee in Ohio today.

1 Like

That is true Kevin, but it still happens illegally. Some RA’s still use unlicensed inspectors. I personally reported two RA for using unlicensed inspectors and having a no-written report done. I doubt anything was done.
Perhaps in a few years the OHIB will get their act together. I probably will not see it. I am calling it quits in less than 3 years. :cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes

They made it very easy for me to retire last December Joe…what a clustered mess they managed to make liscensing in Ohio. Anybody that thinks this is better really needs to think about that imho.

2 Likes

This will only improve if OBBS has control over it. I doubt that they want that problem. It is hard enough for them to find certified inspectors for enforcement.

That explains it all! The vendors at our trade shows will not be so likely to attend if they have no way of getting our recommendations.

Brian Hill
Professional Master Home Inspector
InterNACHI OH license 2019005340
Hill Home Inspection LLC
(330) 503-2888

1 Like

I never received any info on this lol but I don’t do those. I did receive a letter in WV about these. Why not just call a contractor if you want a limited inspection? An HVAC contractor is likely more in depth than a home inspector’s version…

1 Like