Question from Public Member

One of the public members of the OHIB asked me a question at November’s meeting.

I am under oath - so I better not lie.
OHIB Part 1.wmv (10.7 MB)

Part 2

Mr. Pitts is the only one who gets it. He looks at the law and follows it. More to follow.

OHIB Part 2.wmv (35.9 MB)

Can I record a public meeting? What planet does this clown live on?

OHIB Part 3.wmv (8.1 MB)

Home inspectors should not cite building codes because their job is to provide a general assessment of the overall condition of a home, not to perform a code compliance inspection. (and in some states, it would be a violation)

Knowing code and applying this knowledge while evaluating a home does not cross this line. In fact, it is beneficial to the client because the home inspector can now recommend the client elevate the potential issue to a more qualified or licensed person, (which may include the local code inspector).

A home inspector needed to be there to explain this.

4 Likes

5 of the 7 members ARE licensed home inspectors.

They need to get back into the field. License does not equate competence.

3 Likes

They all are in the field.

Amen to that. Mr. Pitts is the only one who plays by the rules. He is a decent guy. I can’t say that for the others (home inspectors).

Wait until I show the 2 crying because they can no longer receive illegal compensation.

Just keep in mind how a home inspector can protect the public. And all rules should be in place for that specific reason. Home buyers have vetted the value of a private home inspection on new construction. If there was no value in the service, it would dissipate.

Both code inspectors and home inspectors provide a valuable service in protecting the public. The relationship between code inspectors and home inspectors should not be contentious, they should be complimentary. I hope that is your goal.

2 Likes

What planet do you live on? Very few home buyers even know that there is a difference between a home inspection and a new construction inspection. Plus their agent usually gives them a recommendation.

Exactly.

Exactly. I just want full disclosure. I offer my experience all the time to home inspectors. Not because I’m smart or more qualified. Because, I have experience more. Hell most people are smarter than me.

My problem in Ohio, is with those who mislead the public. If your state says as a home inspector that you inspect new construction then please do. God only knows the buyers need more protection. My problem is with self-certified inspectors.

There is no way I could handle all the new construction and I don’t desire to do so. I just want to help make this a profession rather than a joke that 99% of agents in Ohio think it is. They look down on us and act like they have 3 Phd in real estate.

No, I’m not bitter I just state facts. If I was bitter that would mean that at times I am nice.

You’re an idiot. I bet the Ohio board just loves you… You probably make their life a living hell. Not sure what you are trying to accomplish. Perhaps you are slow on work, and need to eliminate some competition? A good inspector doesnt worry about competition.

I am in a booming market, and right now, at LEAST 25% of my work is brand new construction. Pre-drywall, pre-closing, 11th month…

You know how many times I have called ‘Code’ defects out that the building inspectors missed?? The building inspectors are literally there for 5 minutes, and sometimes, they dont even go inside, because they are lazy, or because they are ‘familiar’ with the builders’ homes.

Does that make me a ‘code’ inspector?? No, it makes me a damn good inspector, looking out for the protection of my client, because nobody else will. How would I know that these are defects, if I did not know code? (Yet, even with new construction, I dont say that nasty four letter word), because there will always be people like you

Here is a text I received just last week from a client on a pre-drywall inspection. I had called out some electrical defects that could have been a fire hazard (this was a DR Horton home by the way)

Oh, and on this home, the drywall would have covered up this defect the very next day. I guess the building inspector was sick when he supposedly did the electrical inspection. So, should I not be ‘allowed’ to call out a code issue, even though it may have saved someone’s life?
Give me a break, and get a better hobby

9 Likes

That is not my experience. 50-75% of my referrals come from past clients. Many new home buyers do not have a buyers agent. They just use the on-site builders representative. They find me thru personal referral.

That’s the planet I live on.

4 Likes

That is not true. But if that’s the best that you can do.

Why would I care?

Let’s see. I have a profession where numerous people claim to be able to do what I do. I bet if people competed with you and they were not licensed that you would turn them in.

Great! Go for it. So why are you talking about what is happening in another state? Do you just like to pick fights? What’s your game?

I don’t care. Good for you and your clients.

Then try to change that or don’t bring it up.

And I bet you are. So, why stick your nose in Ohio business?

You don’t have to if you are smart.

I don’t want to get sued - so I’ll move on

This is not a hobby. I’m here to network with OHIO inspectors but you people from other states can’t mind your own damn business. I think that you are the one with the hobby.

Seriously. What makes you want to enter into the Ohio category and take chit about things that don’t affect you? I’m confused.

Till the cows come home!

Then why do post anywhere else but here in the Ohio section? Because you also have an opinion about chit that does not effect you.

It’s a forum. And you are not going to push anyone out of the Ohio section. Deal with it.

5 Likes

I’m commenting because I’ll be adding Defience, Paulding and Van Wert counties of Ohio to my primary market once I get my Ohio license.

Your whole point seems to center around the term readily accessible. Why?

Mike,
You would do yourself a huge favor by whenever visiting this site, to take off your “code inspector hat” and put on your “home inspector hat”.

No one really cares about most of the BS you’re trying to convey about all your code talk, and really, whether you realize it or not, you’re consistantly making a fool out of yourself.

8 Likes

The question that I heard in the first video was:

“According to your statement, you are saying that Code Inspectors are prohibited from conducting home inspections”

Your response:

“Yes”.

1 Like

He seems to be confirming that home inspectors need to know code in order to past the exam.

1 Like

I agree with Kevin. Most come to this forum to ask questions and to help other HI with HI questions, and to bust some balls occasionally. :rofl:
If anyone want to talk about “code” then I suggest they join the “Building Code Forum”

10 Likes

Welcome to Ohio. Did you know that Ohio has reciprocity now?

Because that sets the boundaries of WHAT a home inspection is. it does not limit you to just home inspections. Tiy can add ‘other’ services IF you comply with all other Ohio laws and rules.

If you do anything outside of the following definition then you do not have the protection that you obtained when getting licensed. You are acting outside of your license.

(C) “Home inspection” means the process by which a home inspector conducts a visual examination of the readily accessible components of a residential building for a client. “Home inspection” does not include pest inspections; environmental testing; inspection of any property or structure conducted by an employee or representative of an insurer licensed to transact business in this state under Title XXXIX of the Revised Code for purposes related to the business of insurance; or determination of compliance with applicable statutes, rules, resolutions, or ordinances, including, without limitation, building, zoning, or historic codes.

You should also note that the new law prohibits other professions from doing home inspections unless licensed.

You can go ahead and determine anything that you want as long as you are in compliance with all Ohio laws and rules.

Yes, that is true. No state official has ever challanged me on this because it is a true statement.

(A) No person shall knowingly conduct a home inspection or represent a qualification to conduct a home inspection for compensation or other valuable consideration unless that person is licensed pursuant to this chapter as a home inspector or performing a parallel inspection.

Section 4764.02 of the Revised Code does not apply to any person described as follows if the person is acting within the scope of practice of the person’s respective profession:

(A) A person who is employed by or whose services otherwise are retained by this state or a political subdivision of this state for the purpose of enforcing building codes;

If you are doing a home inspection you are not enforcing building codes so code inspectors can’t perform home inspection unless license. Our new law protects home inspectors and protects other professions by limiting what home inspectors do.

Only you can decide what risks that you want to take. If you are in my market and advertise that you can do what I do and are not certified, then you are stealing money from me. People won’t pay for my services if they can get it cheaper by unqualified persons. I had this same problem when I was a licensed contractor. Handymen would do work for which a license was required for $25 per hour and I was charging $100 per hour to pay for all my licensing, registrations (ever municipality got money), insurance, etc. I could lose my license for not pulling permits. No regulations over handymen.

A similar thing exists now. Im certified to perform code inspections for buyers and HI and others claim to be qualified to perform these inspections without obtaining the required certifications. These certification went into effect in 2006. We had no HI license until 2019.

In 2019, Ohio excluded any hint of a code inspection by a HI.

Again, welcome to Ohio. Do whatever you feel that you are legally allowed to do.

I wear both here. My comments are for new Ohio inspectors. You and Cordell and other ASHI members will continue to do as you please as long as he is on the OHIB. I am going to have him removed.

“Any fool can know. The point is to understand.”

― Albert Einstein

That’s Cordell the ASHI representative that tried to jamb ASHI’s SOP down our throats. I fought them as much as I could so we didn’t have to follow their rules. Their SOP was scanned and present to the public as coming from the Div of REPL. No public OHIB members were allowed during the OHIB rules adoption. ASHI controlled the process. That is why it is FU today. I tried to get them to clarify things better but they had an agenda. And they won because they were represented.

I’m sorry Mike, you have it perfectly wrong. It sets the boundaries for what a home inspector is required to do.

A home inspector is not required to move or dismantle personal property (furniture).

1 Like