Oil tank... pad required?

new construction… oil tank in partial basement… crushed rock floor…

does this need a pad similar to a pad? NORA leads me to believe it should… be on some type of pad or secondary containment… as well as at least 6" above grade…

here is a photo…

001b.jpg

any tank feet I would want concret pads. what I see there the feet could start to sink in time and creat a hazard. exact code someone would have to answer for im just a hvac owner.

that makes sense too… i was thinking leaking wise as well…

Yes, it should have secondary containment, and it could possibly have it in the form of double wall construction, but we can’t determine that from the photo.

Jim King

IRC 2006
m2201.2, above groung tanks-- the maximum amount of fuel oil stored above ground or inside a building shall be 660 gallons, the supply tank shall be supported on rigid nocombustible supports to prevent settling or shifting

Are the feet set in concrete below the gravel? I think I would have moved some of the gravel and taken a pic of what it was sitting on. Can’t really tell from the pic you posted. Personally, I agree I wouldn’t like that sitting there from what I can see.

I agree. Most oil tanks are on concrete floors, But…

I’d want to see what’s supporting those legs. If they are encased in footings, it would be fine.

The gravel will keep the belly from getting moist and rusting.

The only downfall to this install is not being able to view the belly for it’s present condition.