On-site checklist options

Originally Posted By: jstone
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I have been demo-ing different software reporting solutions and really like InspectIt ReportPro. The only thing I need to consider is printing a checklist to take on site and then bring back to do the electronic report with InspectIt or whatever I decide to use.

I didn't see any checklist with InspectIt, so is there another way to get a hold of one. I could do my own, but I am new at this and don't have enough experience to know what I need to put in a checklist.

I love this organization and the general helpfulness of the members. The only bad thing is that I am getting no sleep because I am up until 2am reading this board every night.

Originally Posted By: loconnor

John

Have you checked out ReporHost at reporthost.com?

You can print out the inspection checklist and even modify what you do not inspect (i.e.: Basement rather than crawl space).

You inspect with that list, than return to reporthost after the inspection to formalize your computer generated report.

Good luck.

--
Larry
Western Michigan NACHI Chapter
http://www.w-michigan-nachi.org

"We confide in our strength
without boasting of it.
We respect that of others
without fearing it"
Thomas Jefferson

Originally Posted By: hgordon

and open it.

If you cant find it, let me know and I will email it to you. Just shoot me an email!

Good luck! And keep reporting what you SEE!!

--
Harvey Gordon
SE Florida NACHI Chapter - President
hgordon@fl.nachi.org

Originally Posted By: dbowers

I looked at ReportHost but at 1st glance it looked really goofy with all those little colored symbols to have to try and remember the meanings of.

I also wondered what would happen if they went out of business - where are your back-up files at??

We went to HomeGauge - real easy to use.

John -

I'm curious. Several of my friends use a really great program from those guys called "InspectIt-Report Plus". Good looking narrative program.

They have another program called "InspectIt-Report Pro". Kinda weak report and follows their old on-site field checklist which was also weak. They used to franchise inspectors here, and I've done several reviews in years past for litigation involving inspectors that used their field checkbox type report and it was a weak report - open to attack very easily.

Which one are you looking at??

Dan, but what if HomeGuage goes out of business?

Dan,

I looked at both ReportPro and ReportPlus. Wasn't real sure what the difference was, but now I know. Thanks for the info. I would go with ReportPlus not the checklist style.

Harvey,

Wow, thanks for the help. I will have to check that out later today. I have to go mow some rental properties this morning.

I really like the look of the InspectIt as well. That's why I am considering buying this software.

Harvey -

Good question. HomeGauge has their own server for uploads but then you've also got in in your HomeGauge file in your computer.

Is there a checklist that can printed from HomeGauge?

I like both HomeGauge and ReportPlus. What it comes down to is money. Since I am just starting out, I don't know if I am comfortable laying out $645 for HomeGauge or $175 plus $55 a month. With ReportPlus, I can "rent" it for $150 plus $6 per report. It is a toss up at this point. The checklist option for ReportPlus is a big selling point for me. If HomeGauge has a checklist also, that would be good too.

Originally Posted By: David Suelflow

You can print the report blank and use it as a checklist. I did this at first, before I wrote my own. The best thing I did however was to get a digital voice recorder. Now I just talk and take pics. It saves lots of time in the field.

Originally Posted By: gbell

I have used Report Plus for over 5 years. I think it is a great program, once you get everything the way you want it. The only downside that I have experienced is the customer support.

Greg Bell

Bell Inspection Service

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

I’m getting close to the point where I don’t even look at my checklist anymore to do the inspection…only time I need it is to jot something down. I like the idea of a voice recorder, but as I’ve found out three times with my digital camera…batteries die, or the camera dies and then you’re screwed.

Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Originally Posted By: jgallant

dbowers wrote:
I looked at ReportHost but at 1st glance it looked really goofy with all those little colored symbols to have to try and remember the meanings of.

I also wondered what would happen if they went out of business - where are your back-up files at??

We went to HomeGauge - real easy to use.

--
-Jim Gallant
Owner, All Point Home Inspections - Poulsbo, WA www.allpointinspections.com
Co-founder, ReportHost (Web-based report writing service) www.reporthost.com

I ended up choosing ReportPlus software. The features they offer plus the on-site checklist that you can print is what sealed the deal for me.

It is a very nice checklist that is 24 pages long. I also bought the Palm software to have once I get comfortable doing inspections.

Cool John!

by the way...I really would like to see the palm version...if you can tel me how it works ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif) You can email me personally at hg@floridanachi.org.