Ontario Bill 3rd Reading

Hi Claude!

Some were indicating Windsor and Kitchener may also be requiring business licenses.

About your other note… It will probably be ignored as you are dealing with a pair that only see things as it suits them. One only has to look at their ignorant comments in the past. The only repeat fact that can be attributed to these “professionals” is how well one can blow hot air out of his bum, incorrectly, with false data and lies. Usually at the expense of others to try to look superior. Meanwhile the other, trying to avoid said hot air, is constantly trying to enter through the out door so he can be part of the BBBC.

Let’s see what Royal Assent and the future brings forward!

Best regards,
Pat :smiley:

So is the glass 1/2 full or 1/2 empty??? Depends on the point of reference.

Anyone can register a business, but it depends on the type of business that is regulated by the municipality.

Most businesses that operate in Ontario and have annual sales, or revenues, totalling more than $30,000 must register for and charge HST. If your total annual sales are less than or equal to $30,000, you are considered to be a small supplier and are not required to register and charge HST.

So that can rule out most part-timers registering!

Blah, blah, blah. Same old rhetoric. Pointless, pathetic and penile. Once again showing that the two usual blowhards of InterNACHI still attack anything that’s said without any idea of what they are talking about.

Looks like all can see who is doing the attacking .
. Shame on you Len looks like you can not control your emotions .
What a sad sad way to go through life .

I see your cut and paste is still working.

I concur.

A point of contention to myself Claude is that the government, with all it’s wisdom, :roll:, could have amended businesses regulations to protect consumer from door knockers, vacuum cleaner and other device or sevices sales persons long long ago. Now they add home inspection business regulations and bill 59 to the bill.

REA are Licensed Real Estate Brokers in my neck of the woods and they call and knock on doors to see if the elderly want to sell their homes. My aunt in the west island, 7 times a year from 3 agencies.

I can hardly await door knocking doctors and lawyers.:roll:

Just being cynical.
Hope everything works out for the best.
Keep plugging away at transparency and the good work you do.
Best.
Robert

Leonard, if home inspector’s are required to be licensed in Ontario the near future, one would think you would insulate yourself by avoiding what you consider negative posts and just remain mum.

Remember, Roy Cooke was the backbone behind InterNACHI’S success in Ontario.
Try to remember that, Len.

In my opinion, there are several glasses where the water has evaporated due to the government refusal to maintain the water level. Food for thought…

This holds true in our province. Anyone can register a business.
A good thing. Now the government can track that business to have/gain statistical data.

When I started both businesses my first priority was to head down to the government to ask questions so I can understand what is required by myself to be the best civic citizen I could be.

Taxes are important. The tax laws pertain to everyone.
If your are good at understanding/deciphering the provincial tax laws/codes, and numbers crunching, you benefit the greatest.:slight_smile:
I recommend new businesses hire a CPA.
Nothing sinister here everyone. You pay more to get more…:slight_smile:

As well as retired home inspectors.

So what. I see nothing wrong with that.
You can be tracked by your associated business numbers. Nothing irregular or sinister about it.

Everyone is looking for a buggyman to implement home inspector licensing.
Too bad.
So sad.

I have said it many times. The government has everything on the books to do their job/s, except the willingness to reinvest in in what already exists.
Too bad.
So sad.

As for home inspection licensing, a pig in a poke purposely contrived to confuse the population, drive a wedge into the home inspection industry and appease the real estate industry sales persons that abuse the systems they work in regularly with many conflicted interest, casting shadows on our industry…
Too bad.
So sad.

It’s a laugh!

Can we PLEASE get back to the topic at hand?

Or is posting and reading on this forum a waste of time, only fit for providing more fodder for why home inspectors need to be licensed?

The Constitution Act, 1867, states that the approval of the Crown, signified by Royal Assent, is required for any bill to become law after passage by both the Senate and the House of Commons.
So I guess now we wait.

Is there anyway the bill will not be passed, Claude?

That would be FEDERAL legislation! NOT Provincial Legislation!

I believe HI legislation has been passed, but that only enables regulations to be made and then enacted.

GEESH

I think it will take a year or more for the Ontario Home Inspector regulation to fall into place .

I posted about Royal Assent begins in Canada.
Claude brought up the subject and I was interested in the subject and thought others might be as well.

GEESH

Thanks Roy.

Royal Assent was given today (April 13th, 2017) The Home Inspection Act, 2017 is now in play.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/home-inspection-bill-algonquin-college-reaction-1.4067025

New billregulating Ontario home inspectors lauded by industry as ‘terrific’ news.
Ottawa
New bill regulating Ontario home inspectors lauded byindustry as ‘terrific’ news
Bill 59 would mandate licenses, insurance, and create a codeof ethics
**By TrevorPritchard, CBC NewsPosted: Apr 16, 2017 5:00 AM ET Last Updated: Apr 16, 2017 5:00 AM ET **

New legislation introduced by the Ontario government Mondaywill regulate the province’s home inspection industry — and the industry itselfsays it’s fine with that. (Canadian Press)
Homeinspectors could soon be regulated in Ontario
Shopping fora house? Inspect your home inspector
External Links
Read the Putting Consumers First Act here
(Note: CBC does not endorse and is not responsible for thecontent of external links.)
Home inspectors in Ontario are lauding new legislation thatwould require them to be licensed, have insurance, and abide by a code ofethics — and potentially face discipline if they don’t.
The Putting Consumers First Act, which was passed lastweek at Queen’s Park, will impose new rules upon one of the fewprofessionals involved in real-estate transactions that have not beenhistorically subject to provincial regulation.
“It’s terrific news,” said Michael Levitan, ahome inspector who also teaches home inspection skills at Algonquin College inOttawa.
“Right now home inspection is not a regulatedindustry,” Levitan told CBC Radio’s Ottawa Morning. “So if you hire ahome inspector, you’re not exactly sure what’s going to happen during your homeinspection.”
Ontario tointroduce bill that would regulate home inspectors
Ontario homeinspectors welcome fresh attempt to regulate industry
Last summer, Ontario’s Liberal government announced plans tointroduce legislation to regulate home inspectors, of which they saidthere are approximately 1,500 in the province.
Marie-France Lalonde, who was Minister of ConsumerServices at the time, said the legislation would protect consumers byensuring they benefit from quality advice and are aware of safetyissues before buying a home.

Michael Levitan, a home inspector in Ottawa who also teacheshome inspection classes at Algonquin College, called the new legislation’terrific news.’ (Trevor Pritchard/CBC)
The legislation, also known as Bill 59, was based uponrecommendations made by a 16-person expert panel.
It will also introduce minimum standards for home inspectionreports, contracts and disclosures. Inspectors who breach the code ofethics could face fines of up to $25,000.
The legislation comes one year after Toronto Liberal MPP HanDong introduced a private member’s bill intended to license home inspectors,but his bill never made it past committee.
Will ensure industry’s reputation
While the Ontario Association of Home Inspectors (OAHI) hasregulated its members since 1994, it supports provincial oversight as a way to give homebuyers more security, president Murray Parish said — and also toensure the reputation of the entire industry.
“A true professional is a professional. If you startcutting corners, you’re going to end up cutting yourself or cutting somebodyelse,” Parish said. “If you walk the straight line, you don’t have toworry about that, right?”
Parish, who performs home inspections throughout the GreaterToronto Area and parts of central Ontario, said OAHI has its own code ofethics. Members who breach that code have been forced to take trainingcourses, he said, or even end up being kicked out of the association.
Most of the OAHI’s approximately 500 members give homebuyers "the full gist of what’s going on inside the house,“Parish said. But in the current housing market, he added, it’s not unheardof for inspectors — both inside the association and outside of it — to cutcorners.
Cool thered-hot housing market now, PC leader urges
“If the member’s not adhering to the discipline, or tothe ethics, then we have to remove them,” said Parish. “And wedo.”
‘Their responsibility is to the home’
Levitan, an OAHI member himself, echoed many ofParish’s sentiments.
“We’re hoping they all follow the same standards ofpractice, the same procedure, so your home inspector is the same as myinspector,” he said.
While most home inspectors are honest, Levitan said some"don’t give this profession as much credibility as it deserves.”
He said he knew of home inspectors who didn’t carryinsurance in the belief that, if something ends up going wrong with thehouse, the homeowner will call them for follow-up service instead of alawyer.
“My job is not to tell you to buy or not to buy thehouse. In fact, a good home inspector will tell you that their responsibilityis to the home,” Levitan said.
“It’s up to you to decide what to do with thatinformation.”

Interesting this person is just

Mr. Levitan is an Applicant Member of OAHI.
https://www.oahi.com/?lid=MGED5-15KI9-Z1M8K&comaction=search&postal=&km=50&name=Levitan&language=

and a Michael Levitan BID
Associate member of ASHI

and he is teaching home inspections at Algonquin? Itseems to me someone claiming to be an educator would be the first to be a full RHI!!!

Great Post Roy!

You know them Len?