Opinions Wanted-Pier and Beam

Originally Posted By: rsonneson
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I think more information is needed. what is the clear span of the lam beam? Is that span within engineered limits? Is a pier needed? Just because there is a pier there does not mean that the lam beam needs it. perhaps framing materials changed and during the process and that accounts for the misplacement of piers? Just a idea, dont jump to conclusions with all the information

Bob Sonneson

American Home Inspection Technologies

Originally Posted By: jpope

Looking a bit closer - it looks like there is a joint here

![](upload://pMVkqbqISllTMZSVq5Eg2vbLFTh.jpeg)

I'd say - write is up as improper and let the builder try and explain his way out.

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: rcooke

How much time can you spend on each item in your inspection . To simple there is something is wrong identify it write it up and move on .

Further evaluation by qualified person. End of story .

We find concerns, we do not tell them how to fix.

If you continue to take 4 hours for an inspection you are spending to much time on to many things . I normally run just under three hours start to drive out .Roy Cooke sr

Originally Posted By: roconnor

I agree with Jeff that it looks like there is a joint in the glu-lam girder at the pier, and therefore that is a critical support. Looks like a wood hack post next to the pier to “fix” the problem too … icon_eek.gif

Be very careful about crossing the "evaluation" line which can get you in trouble. Look for visual indications of sagging members (there shouldn't be any pronounced deflection of structural members in a home), check for flexibility (bounce) and significant floor slope, and look for signs of improper construction and deterioration from a visual examination and limited probing.

Even if there wasn't a joint there, it is well beyond a home inspection to determine adequate girder support spacing (particularly for engineered lumber like glu-lams where rules of thumb don't apply). If there is a large pier present it must be assumed it is a needed support ... particularly for new construction.

Red flag it as in need of evaluation and probable repair, and move on.

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?
NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Originally Posted By: Timothy Pope

Thanks for all the feedback. I reported it as being in need of immediate evaluation/repair.

My client asked the building supervisor, who was in the neighborhood that day about it, and he said “well, it passed the city’s inspection”.

I'll try to keep you guys updated on what happens.