Outlets upside down in a 1969 build

Why would the outlets#-o in all the bedrooms be upside down? My tester showed they were wired properly but I recall reading somewhere that this is not correct.

Define “upside-down”…picture? If you mean the “ground hole” is “up”…this would actually be the preferred install.

Common in commercial apps (Safer in the belief that the ‘grounded conductor’ is the one exposed if a plug ever starts to ‘back out’ and something falls on it, it’ll hit the grounded conductor, not a hot or neutral leg)…

Bet the guy who wired it up had a commercial electric background…

:mad: What makes you think there’s even a “right side up”?

Sideways works too.

Some people install them this way to indicate that they are switched.

Someone please call PETA, they are beating dead horses here too.

This topic must be the groundhog day of electrical topics.

Jim, that’s one way to learn on the board . . . so many times the ‘search’ just doesn’t find what you’re looking for . . . so you POST a question . . . it gets answered . . . even if it’s been asked a 100 times . . . that’s what so great about this board, so many are willing to help even if it’s been asked before, sure, some come back in and might complain a little . . . but questions get answered and we continue to learn . . . Richard, I think you got your question answer . . . this board is great!

And your point is? (8’)

I think the point is you guys and gals need a FAQ page.

Unless its written in the manufacturer’s installation instructions or written on the outlet (some actually have “top” written on them), you are permitted to install the device in any direction you prefer.

The Electrical Code doesn’t require a specific orientation of a duplex outlet. Most often the ground is at the bottom, but the outlet can be mounted horizontally as well as vertically.

Many prefer that the ground be located at the bottom; if the plug works loose, the ground remains in contact longest. If mounted horizontally, most prefer to have the neutral (wide blade) side up so any foreign object that falls onto a partly exposed blade would contact either the neugral or the ground.

GFCIs often have the test/reset indicators labeled so they can be read whether the ground is up or down. In other words, it’s the dealer’s choice.

In the IEEE standard 602-1996, section 4.2.2… advises that hospital-grade outlets be used and that they should be mounted with the ground pin or neutral blade up to assure that any metal that may drop between the plug and the wall will most likely contact an unenergized blade.

Quick point of technical clarification. The large round pin is connected to the “grounding” conductor. The grounded conductor is the “neutral”.

Edit to add the bold. Text not changed.

Oh, and there is NO such thing as an “upside down” receptacle (unless the mfg says so).

funny enough…when I install switched receptacle in a bedroom let say…I always turn it with the ground prong up…and the rest down.

Just helps the client know which is switched when planning their furniture layout…Well i should not say always…sometimes I forget to do it…lol

Thanks Mike.
Agreed. If you are going to badger the people asking questions then please don’t post?
Yes, I did get my question answered very well.

. . . I call those my senior moments . . . seems like I get them more now than ever before . . . now, what we’re we talking about? . . . good to see you on the board again Paul, how’s your leg? Hope you’re up and about soon!

Hey Fella…My leg is doing better and in fact I am about 1 1/2 hours away from a CEU Seminar as we speak. I am sitting beside my projector waiting for people to file in line.

Been a long road but I believe I am over the hump now and in fact I have 6 seminars in the next month so I better be ready as thats alot of standing…and those who have been to my seminars I dont like standing still…I jump around alot…lol

Thanks again for asking…I tell you it has been nice cheer up moments when Gerry B and Stephen call me on the phone…thanks guys…

Actually, the large round pin is the ground bonding conductor. :mrgreen:

Thank you, Paul A.:cool:

Maybe, if you say so, but the bare wire behind the receptacle is the grounding conductor. Even more precisely the “equipment grounding conductor”.
At least until 2008.:mrgreen:

Are they grounded outlets?