Oven Anti Tip Device

Originally Posted By: charper
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Does anyone know if there exist a code for installing atti-tip devices to the back of ovens. I know common sense would dictate, but is it required by code???

Charlie

www.HomeInspectionGa.com

Originally Posted By: tallen

I don’t know about a code, but the manufacturer say’s to do it. One comes with every range.

I always recommend they be installed for safety reasons.

If you don't and a kid get's hurt who do you think will be first on the list to get blamed for not informing them of this important safety feature?

--
I have put the past behind me,
where , however, it now sits, making rude remarks.

www.whiteglovehomeinspections.net

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Originally Posted By: tpope

I think this covers it:

2003 IRC

Appliance Installation

M1307.1 General. Installation of appliances shall conform to the conditions of their listing and label and the manufacturer’s installation instructions.

Originally Posted By: charper

Thanks Guys.

Just what I needed…

Charlie

www.HomeInspectionGa.com

Originally Posted By: jtedesco

[Heating Appliances] Cooking Appliances, Gas Fired, Household

USE
This category covers cooking appliances intended for household use, using only gas or a combination of gas and electric for cooking. These include ranges, ovens, broilers, griddles, counter-mounted cooking units, and the like, as well as combinations of these in one appliance as identified in the individual Listings. These appliances are suitable for use in manufactured (mobile) homes or recreational park trailers.

This category does not cover compact cooking gas appliances intended for use in recreational vehicles (including recreational park trailers) as defined in the current edition and effective addenda thereto of ANSI Z21.1, "Household Cooking Gas Appliances."

This category does not cover cooking gas appliances intended for use in a marine environment such as aboard boats or ships.

INSTALLATION
Gas-fired household cooking appliances are intended to be installed in accordance with the markings on the appliance and in the installation instructions provided with the appliance, including (as applicable) markings and instructions pertaining to clearances, types of adjacent surfaces, spacings between individual appliances, proper vent installation, the specific type of gas vent to be used, and clearances from a vent, and the following as applicable:

the current edition of ANSI Z223.1/NFPA 54, "National Fuel Gas Code,"
the current edition of ANSI/NFPA 70, "National Electrical Code" (NEC),
the current edition of Title 24 CFR, Part 3280, "Manufactured Home Construction and Safety Standard" [formerly the Federal Standard for Mobile Home Construction and Safety, Title 24, HUD (Part 280)] or, when such standard is not applicable, ANSI/NCSBCS A225.1, "Standard for Manufactured Home Installations,"
the current edition of ANSI A119.5, "Standard for Recreational Park Trailers,"
local codes.
These appliances may be floor-supported, built-in, drop-in, or slide-in units.

These appliances are marked with information specifying the type(s) of gas supply to which the product is intended to be connected.

Appliances with electrical equipment have a current limitation of 20 A. Appliances using only gas for cooking are designed for connection to a nominal 120 V electrical supply. Appliances using gas and electric for cooking are designed for connection to either a nominal 120 V, 240 V or less, or 120/240 V or less electrical supply. All appliances intended for connection to a nominal three-wire, 120/240 V or less (including 120/208 V), electrical supply are provided with a bonding connection between the frame of the appliance and the neutral to provide grounding in accordance with the provisions of the NEC. Markings on the appliance and installation instructions provided with the appliance provide information regarding this bonding connection, where the use of this connection is prohibited, and the use of appropriate power supply cords.

The flexible metallic conduit and high temperature insulated leads provided with some appliances are evaluated as a component part of the appliance. Unless a conduit fitting or outlet box is installed at the factory, tape or other means is provided at the end of the conduit to protect the conductors during shipment. This protection is not intended to take the place of a conduit bushing or fitting which is required by the NEC.

UNEVALUATED FACTORS
Neither the toxicity of coatings nor the physiological effects on persons consuming food products prepared by the use of these appliances has been investigated.

The thermal efficiency of these appliances has not been investigated (see ZWAA).

RELATED PRODUCTS
For (1) household type, all electric cooking equipment (consisting of oven and surface units), (2) combination electric and solid fuel cooking equipment (consisting of electric ovens and surface units, together with a solid fuel combustion section), and (3) all electric wall-mounted and counter-mounted cooking equipment, see Heaters, Ranges, Household Electric (KRMX).

For cooking equipment intended for commercial indoor use, see Commercial Cooking Appliances (KNGT).

For custom-built commercial food serving and/or cooking equipment that includes various combinations of electric cooking and food warming appliances, see Custom-built Food Service Equipment (KNNS).

For gas-fired food service equipment intended for commercial use, see Gas-fired Food Service Equipment (LGQX).

For microwave cooking appliances that have been investigated and found suitable for built-in installation, side-by-side mounting, stacking or field installation over electric or gas appliances, see Microwave Cooking Appliances (KQSQ).

For fans and accessories intended for use over residential gas and electric cooking equipment, see Fans, Electric (GPWV).

For electric or gas cooking equipment-refrigerator combinations, see Kitchen Units, Refrigerated (SJPT).

For equipment verified for energy efficiency in accordance with regulations or standards applicable in the United States, see Products Verified for Energy Efficiency in Accordance with United States Regulations or Standards (ZWAA).

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
For additional information, see Heating Appliances (KTCR), Heating, Cooling, Ventilating and Cooking Equipment (AAHC) and Electrical Equipment for Use in Ordinary Locations (AALZ).

REQUIREMENTS
The basic standard used to investigate products in this category is the current edition and effective addenda thereto of ANSI Z21.1, "Household Cooking Gas Appliances." Gas-fired cooking appliances that also use electrical energy for cooking are also investigated to UL 858, "Household Electric Ranges," per a reference in ANSI Z21.1.

UL MARK
The Gas-fired Listing Mark of Underwriters Laboratories Inc. on the product is the only method provided by UL to identify products manufactured under its Listing and Follow-Up Service. The Gas-fired Listing Mark for these products includes the UL symbol with the words "GAS-FIRED" above the UL symbol and the word "LISTED" below the UL symbol (as illustrated in the Introduction of this Directory), a control number, and the standard designation "ANS Z21.1(+)-(++) Household Cooking Appl."

(+) Suffix letter of latest addendum if applicable

(++) Issue year of latest addendum or standard

--
Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant

www.nachi.org/tedescobook.htm

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

WOW, now what’s left of my hair really hurts icon_eek.gif

Good stuff Joe!!

BTW, the anti tip is required here by local ordinance since 2003.

Originally Posted By: roconnor

which requires that “Appliances designed to be fixed in position shall be fastened or anchored in an approved manor” … meaning install the anti-tip devices for ovens. That would not be quoted as required by code except for new installs under the IRC, but a requirement of current construction/safety standards. I believe the TREC standards also require this to be checked … icon_wink.gif

Robert O’Connor, PE

Eagle Engineering ?

Eagle Eye Inspections ?

NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Originally Posted By: dbowers

We don’t have a clue what Joe was talking about, but Tim Pope was right on.

Originally Posted By: jtedesco

Dan:

That was information from the UL site and appliance directory.

You seem to be confused as to why I posted that material. If you do let me know and I will try to explain my purpose.

See the NEC definition of Appliance and 110.3(B).

The IRC is not used by the entire population of Home Inspectors. ![icon_surprised.gif](upload://57CELbNgOav4I8DdysEp4jSUiyx.gif)

--
Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant

www.nachi.org/tedescobook.htm