Overexposed shingles

It’s funny… I look at the rake edge and get confused with the overlap, etc. At the drip I just start lifting “sheets” of roofing and can usually find very different colors, etc. to help ID layers. Green seems to have been popular in the 50s/60s, more yellow/beige in the 60s/70s/80s, gray/black from there… kind of follows appliances :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Some roofers try to hide the number of layers at the rake with an “L” flashing…so, one can lift it, peek under, or such, to count the layers there… :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

I never made that connection…so true.

Why would anyone slap another band-aid over a wound that has a dirty and mangled bandage?..In my opinion that is what laying a second layer over the first is… Adding a Third to the stinking Gangrenous wound…Well that is only approved by the species known as Agent Flipperthehouserous.

1 Like

I hadn’t either until I was typing that… LOL

1 Like

Amateur installation as evidenced by improper overlap and three layers. I would definitely write it up.

1 Like

In our opinion too many layers of roof covering are present. This can place more weight on the roof structure than what it was designed for; is more layers than what is normally allowed by most building codes; and some insurance company’s may not chose to insure it.

We recommend having a licensed and competent roofing contractor evaluate and review the roofing system, its accessories and their conditions; then verify the insurability and acceptability of the roofing with your insurance company to determine if repair or modification is needed.

3 Likes

used to do a lot of roof overs back in the day, remember houses used to be framed and sheathed much differently not that many years ago and weight was not the enemy it is today. With todays framing and sheathing a chubby roofer has to be careful where he steps, let alone a second layer of shingles…

If not installed per manufacturers instructions, the warranty may be void. Along with what the others have said.
Three layers is definitely too many. Significantly alters the load on the roof and the system may not be designed to carry it. Just be sure there are three layers before you call it out. Considering they didn’t replace the boots says something. Those things are pretty inexpensive. I’d send it to a roofer for evaluation and certification of proper install and condition.

1 Like

Looks like the new roof was installed over another layer of shingles.

Get 'em a trench coat…easy-peasy.

1 Like