panel height

The height is set for the average person. Would you say any of the above mentioned would be the average person?

I see Mike and I posted at the same time.

Joe, see NEC 240.24(A)

6.7 it is. :oops: I stand corrected and apologize to all. The problem I have is that the IRC alone governs residential construction (or enforcement) around here, so I don’t get into the NEC very much.

It was an attempt at humor.

The panel cannot be mounted sideways and comply with Up being on for most panel styles. I guess you could only use the bottom bus and waste half the panel.

Jeff P has already posted the NEC regarding the maximum height.

That was a reference to the Canadian way of mounting panels :wink:

They always look wrong.

When I was building we used to install a panel box in the basement for it to sit in. I remember clearly having to tear out a few because the height was wrong. I was told by the electricians that the height of the main disconnect was required to be at six feet. I have no referance to the code and am going by what electricains have told me numerous times. Maybe it is a canadian thing but it also makes sense.

No overcurrent device operating handle being more than 1.7m(67inches) above finished floor 26-402(2)
This came off of an electrical forum from Canada.

It doesn’t say less than.

Why would it?

Read Greg’s post.

I don’t do CEC anymore, do you?

You should contact the local building authority first. As with all such questions, you may also need to consult local tariffs. Tariffs in the US frequently authorize local utility companies to set certain rules related to electrical service equipment. Those rules can be very different from any nationally recognized standards. In the absence of any building department rules or tariffs, the local fire marshal may have established requirements.

In the jurisdictions in which I have worked (mainly the Great Lakes states), the local building departments will usually steer people to the right place for answers. When I had my electrical business in NW Ohio, we had to build all electrical services according to a book that Toledo Edison published, titled “Guide to Planning Your Electric Service”. It was better known as the “White Book” (like the IEEE books) because it had a white cover. The White Book was based on the local tariff. The utilitiy companies could override the local inspectors if a service did not meet their requirements. Articles 230 and 240 of the NEC were useless to us regardless of the size or type of electrical service. I’ve worked under similar rules with I&M, Consumers, Detroit Edison, and Cleveland Electric Illuminating, and a few RECs to name a few.

What happens if the house is 100 years old and you can’t reach the main shut off?

Is this a trick question? What happens if the brakes go out in your 35 year old truck?

Somebody had to be able to access it to install it.

It depends on how fast your going and how steep the hill is. :wink:

There are multiple issues with this panel and the deck.

The installation height is not an issue. It can be 1’ off the ground and not be an issue as long as it is not above the maximum elevation as mentioned earlier (2 meters).