Panel Inspections

Hello! I just joined today and want to ask a question:

Should an inspector take off a cover of a panel when it is located in a clothes closet or bathroom?

If it is safe to do so, yes.

Oh, and… Welcome! Hector.:wink:

Thank you!

Are they allowed in a clothes closet or bathroom?

Someone might need to educate me on home inspection SOP, but if you run across one in a clothes closet or bathroom, it seems sorta pointless to take the cover off. You’re going to recommend that an electrician take a look at the installation anyhow, it would seem to me. Let the sparky take the risks.

Most people will not get anything further evaluated based on a “bad location”. You should inspect the interior of the panel if it is accessible.
The only one I could not get to was an old sub panel that had 10 coats of paint on the screws with stripped heads from someone trying to get them out.

Are they allowed in a clothes closet or bathroom?

I agree with Bruce. I would take it off anyway, if for no other reason because I’m curious. But you can’t really say it’s not accessible.

The rule on panel boxes is, readily accessible, 30" X 36" X 78" (height) working space, NOT in a wet location such as a bathroom.

2006 IRC says, in E3305.4 Location of working spaces and equipment.
“Required working space shall not be designated for storage. Panelboards and overcurrent protection devices shall not be located in clothes closets or bathrooms.”

**NO
**[size=2]I guess his question did not get answered fast enough.

According to the NEC they do not give reasons or exceptions. NO BATHROOMS (or CLOTHES closets). PERIOD.

They make NO distinction to wet or dry areas. You absolutely can have a panel in a wet area.
[/size]

And you call yourself “Speedy”…:stuck_out_tongue: :smiley: :cool:

If the panel enclosure is accessible for the HI to be able to open the cover then it should be inspected regardless of being in a bathroom or clothes closet.

The NACHI SOP states you will open these panels because you are able too, Now what if the client intends to leave it right where it is because in their mind it has been that way for years ( I am sure we all hear that ) so you make it understandable that it is a hazard and why in regards to the location but you also need to see what could make it even MORE of a hazard…

No, they are not allowed in these locations but at some point when it was installed it MAY have been so you have to educate them on the safety concerns and continue on with your inspection of the enclosure for other issues that could be taking place.

I am not big ( exceptions appply ) on simply using the term “defer” unless we have some things to back up the report as well but again too all his own.