PB Connection Question, Need Help

What kind of connection is this, and does anyone have documentation. I was told it was the repair connections to help eliminate the issue, but just wanted to verify.

Anything stamped on the fitting Sean?

Unless the connection replaces the ENTIRE PB SYSTEM, the issue (PB Pipe) remains…

http://www.polybutylene.com/poly.html

[QUOTE]
[Anything stamped on the fitting Sean? /QUOTE]
No, i did not take the time to look at them for markings. I have seen very little pb, and this is a first for the fittings of this style. The other has always been cut and dry, but i am not sure about these

[quote=“sfogarty, post:4, topic:49668”]

There is nothing to be sure about…Call it out as PB Plumbing and a defect…

I did, I still want to see if anyone has the info.

I am with Brian, call it out…

One of the original “excuses” for lack of a better explanation, was that the “fittings” were the culprit for all the failures and leaks. Since then, it is well known that the PB is the culprit. The Polybutylene material, over time deteriorates from the chemical reactions to the chlorine compounds in the public water systems. I once did a number of inspections for an investor who was a chemist by trade and one quadplex I was doing for him had PB throughout. He was in CA. and called during the course of the inspections and when I informed him of the PB, he told me to stop at that point, he paid me for all the inspections but refused to pursue the purchase any further. He went on the explain to me why he did not want the property as he had first hand knowledge about PB and the issues due to his line of work. That was years before the PB industry acknowledged it as being the problem. I have seen PB split down the sides of the tubing laterally resulting in a catastrophic leak. Call it out, make “recommendations”, let them deal with it. Our job is to report it, not figure out HOW they are to do about it. They don’t pay us enough for that headache.

Sean, to answer your original question - Those look like garden variety “compression fittings” to me, there is probably a ferrule inside those nuts…

Al in TN

Because of pressure put upon the board by the Realtors Board our wording has changed, the North Carolina Home Inspection Board recommended the following language:

*Polybutylene plumbing supply lines (PB) are installed in this house. PB was used as water distribution piping in many homes built from the mid 1980’s until the mid 1990’s. The piping and associated fittings have had a failure rate and subsequent leakage sufficient to have been the subject of several nationwide class action lawsuits. Copper and brass fittings used in later years seem to have reduced the failure rate, but the piping may still fail due to problems with poor installation, improper handling, or chemical reaction with the water supply. The piping in this house has (circle which apply) Brass/Copper – Plastic - fittings. The class action suits have expired and there is no longer any monetary relief for homeowners that experience a polybutylene piping failure. For more information visit: http://www.pbpipe.com . You may wish to have the plumbing system evaluated by a licensed plumbing contractor.

[quote=“bkelly2, post:5, topic:49668”]

Brian, I am confused when you say it is a “defect”. I see poly in my area on a weekly basis, I explain it to my clients and then move on. A non leaking plumbing system is not a “defect”

Sounds better than the last version…
Did the realtors really want it to be stronger?

I think the last version was for the realtors and this one was updated since the old contained bad information and had missing facts.

[quote=“bbrinke, post:11, topic:49668”]

A non-leaking PB plumbing system is a defect due to the affect it has on the property value and the lack of sound, reliable utility that a normal buyer would expect from their plumbing system.

Defect:
1 a : an imperfection that impairs worth or utility

Thats like saying the 60 year old galvanized water pipe is not leaking so its fine…???
People need to be informed. WIth that situation, I just sent the buyer some web links. They can make the informed decision.

I believe if you read what I wrote…“I explain it to my clients” just as I would a 60 year old galvanized water pipe. Poly is prevalent in my area, I see it daily. I do not freak out about it and call it as a defect. Show me a water supply system that does not leak.

[quote=“bbrinke, post:11, topic:49668”]

Wrong. :smiley:

[quote=“bkelly2, post:16, topic:49668”]

Gee, I am so glad we have such a great dialogue on this MB

PB systems come in many varieties, here are some of the most common combinations I see: (Note: there are some PB pipes that are not the 2110 version that was not involved in the lawsuit but they are rarely found)

PB2110 pipe with plastic fittings on public water system - the absolute worst, most of these have flooded houses and been improved or replaced.

PB2110 pipe with plastic fittings on** private **water system - still very bad

PB2110 pipe with copper fittings and copper crimp rings on** public water **- the copper fittings were also part of the lawsuit and the public water will deteriorate the pipe. - still very bad.

PB2110 pipe with copper fittings and copper crimp rings on **well water **water - the copper fittings were also part of the lawsuit - still bad.

Here is a system that may exist somewhere but I have not seen it yet:

PB2110 pipe with **new brass fittings **and copper crimp rings on **well water ** - This exact setup might be better but you will still get sued if it floods the house and you did not make the client aware of the issues with PB.

Don’t forget to check the service pipe from the street also to see if its PB.