PDA's and inspectors

Originally Posted By: jhorton
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I have been looking into buying a PDA. Still know so little about one I am aa ways from deciding. My Appraisal software has a PDA version so I can enter data in the field and merge it into my reports. Eliminate the clipboard and paper.

While doing some research I realize that some PDA's will run Word and Adobe. I have forms for appraising set up as Active forms in Adobe so that was/is a big plus.

Then it occurred to me that I do my Home Inspection report in Word too. I have it set up as a form with check boxes and a place to enter comments. So I am thinking that I could do a lot of the work in the field on the PDA instead of the a piece of paper and then transfer it to the Word document. If I could enter brief hand written notes I could then elaborate and edit them once I got to the office. Heck maybe even voice notes to enter latter.

Also some PDA's have built in cameras. That would be a big plus! Except for the lack of flash say under a house. Thats where the small size would be most useful.

Anyone actually tried this? It sounds almost to good to be true. Especially since I was just looking at one as a way to replace my bulky paper day planner!

--
Jeff <*\\><
The man who tells the truth doesn't have to remember what he said.

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi Jeff,

I started to look at software and hardware options 2 years ago and intitialy I thought that I would go the PDA route, but when I looked into it I did not like PDA’S as the screens were too small and I needed a key board at least until I had got my boiler plate corrected.

The other big issue was one of software, when I looked into the issue I found that whilst PDA’s have a version of word etc that they were not directly compatible, and that most software would not run on a PDA.

Some software vendors do have a version for PDA but for inspections I can only think of “Palm-tech”. the OS that PDA’s use is for the most part windows CE and is very limited.

I ended up going with a normal small laptop with a touch screen, it has served me very well, but am now looking at a tablet PC in particular the fujitsu 2300/3500 series.

I hope this helps

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Originally Posted By: jhorton

gbeaumont wrote:
The other big issue was one of software, when I looked into the issue I found that whilst PDA's have a version of word etc that they were not directly compatible.........

I ended up going with a normal small laptop with a touch screen, it has served me very well, but am now looking at a tablet PC in particular the fujitsu 2300/3500 series.

Thanks Gerry, that is helpful. I just stopped in at Staples and one of the new PDA's. forgot who now. Has a larger screen that I liked. Would like to see my form on it. Since I wear reading glasses now screen size isn't to big an issue. As long as I have on my glasses that is. ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

Word compatibility is a big issue for me. As is Adobe Acrobat. Because I don't want to buy more software, I want to use my word files. So I will look closely at that!

Also there is software that I would buy for my Appraisals and it is Palm OS so a Windows CE OS wouldn't work for me doing appraisals and that is the bulk of my business (at least for now. Trying to change that).

As for laptops I tried mine for Appraising and I didn't like it. Never had a place to sit it and it was heavy to carry and awkward to measure a house trying to carry it around. I have been looking a the Tablets for a while and waiting on prices to drop. The way I like to work if I could just enter my field work in a PDA it would suit me better..... at least I thinks so anyway.

Thanks for the input!!

--
Jeff <*\\><
The man who tells the truth doesn't have to remember what he said.