Pex Manabloc..

Originally Posted By: rwashington
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I had heard that it was banned in CA. Is that true and why? It is all we are putting in new construction around here.

Richard W Washington

www.rwhomeinspections.com

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

I don’t know about CA, but they are using it here often also.

As soon as I have two pennies to rub together, I'm replacing all my pipes with it.
I have galvanized pipes that are about 65 years old and are starting to rust/leak. Just cannot afford to fix them right now.

Plumbers are raving about it and the labor/material costs are considerably lower than copper.

--
Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Originally Posted By: jpope

I know of no such ban. I see it often in new construction.

Jeff Pope

JPI Home Inspection Service

“At JPI, we’ll help you look better”

(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: rbennett

65 yrs out of the old pipe – that is good water

Hope the new pile goes for ever

Originally Posted By: Steven Brewster

Hey Guys,

The only negative I have seen are rats chewing the PEX and causing leaks. One house I know of had two leaks that were due to rats chewing the piping.

I was told by a plumber that when rat killer is applied in the crawlspace and eaten by the rats, they get very thirsty (prior to dying) and somehow know there is water in these pipes. So you get the picture

Originally Posted By: Jay Moge

of course the rats know there’s water in there. they saw the house get built, besides they have no thumbs and can’t use the faucetts. icon_cool.gif

Originally Posted By: charper

See it here in GA a lot. The one thing I do not like is that a shut off valve is no longer required at an appliance, (toilet, sink) when using PEX Manabloc. I always intreprted the code to read “a shut off valve in arms reach for quick shut off of water”. Well just DAMN.

Charlie

www.HomeInspectionGa.com

Originally Posted By: Jay Moge

you can easily add shut off’s at the fixture with that system, it kinda defeats the porpse, but you can do it. icon_cool.gif

Originally Posted By: apfaff

Love the PEX.

It has been used and tested extensively in Europe. Millions of feet of it in service and no major complaints that I'm aware of.

I plumbed my whole house with it. You still need copper stubbed out in some areas where shutoffs are used. The valves need the rigid copper for support when operated.

PEX is a lot easier to work with, you don't start anything on fire when soldering. I soldered all copper fittings, manifolds and stub-outs on the bench and nail them up.

I ran it out to my barn. It froze several times and then flows freely when it thaws.

I recommend it!

--
Aaron Pfaff
http://www.dedicatedhomeservices.com/
http://www.independentinspectors.org/wisconsin.html

Originally Posted By: jrabanus

My sister-in-law had plumbers redo the entire system with pex. I watch these guy install it and it took 3 guys 6 hours to install this plumbing!! It was so easy. I love the way it works. However, I kind of wonder how it will perform 10 or 20 years from now. Hopefully, not like polybutilyne.

Josh