Pex piping

What are your thoughts/concerns? This was a one year warranty inspection today. Large developer probably has hundreds of homes in the area.

Wirsbo PEX tubing and connectors. Great stuff. If I was building I probably wouldn’t have left the tubing laying on top of the fire system but don’t seen any problem worth noting.

So why all the lawsuits about the stuff?

The Wirsbo / Uponor lawsuits had to do with the brass insert fittings that caused Dezincification and could fail as a result. Those shown are the plastic type that have not had any issues. I just finished replumbing one of my houses using this system. Very easy.

I think most of the lawsuits for any of the brands had to do with the type of fitting, whether the connectors or the crimp rings.

AH yes, remember reading about the Dezincification process a while back. Thanks for the clarification.

Like Steve says, great stuff. Most new construction in CA is using this system.

I inspected a home Saturday with the Pex piping system that has the brass fittings that are part of the class action against Zurn-Pex. I called it out and recommended replacement. Has anyone else run into the brass fittings?

Hi ,
I would like to add few comments regarding pex piping.
PEX is a cross linked polyethylene that is used in various systems of radiant heating, domestic piping of water and insulation of high voltage. The life of such piping is more than the life of copper piping as it is very compatible against harsh environmental conditions.

Thanks
RoofStuffInc.com

Stephen you see no problem with pex piping resting onto each other.
One looks compressed.
They well expand and contract causing a friction point or spot and ware.
They should have been separate and been clipped to the wall unless they are fastened in-place above or below. Forget the distance. 48 inches?

http://www.pexuniverse.com/store/category/accessories

No, that is not compressed. You can see the termination of the black plastic fitting and the pex tubing is just flared around it and returning to normal size. Not flattened and not an issue although as I stated before, I would much rather have seen the pex run underneath the fire line. If it is a cold water supply, there would be no expansion or contraction at all.

Maybe its the photo and my new cheap computer.( the machine is in the shop ) Warranted.
I see the orange piping slightly dented as if it was compressed slightly.
Sorry.

I think it is an optical illusion from the shadowing. I don’t think that schedule 80 would dent or compress under the weight of some light weight pex.

Make sure no sunlight is coming through the roof/gable vents onto the PEX as is has only a six month sunlight exposure limit.

Chuck

If they have enough direct sunlight coming in through the vents to affect the pex tubing, they have bigger problems to worry about. :roll:

You should check water pressure on any system with plastic lines. I realize it is over SOP’s, but most inspectors check pressure. Should be at least under 80 pounds. I like it to 65 pounds with plastic. High readings should be regulated accordingly. Highest reading I have had was at 143 pounds.

I have seen it hundreds of times. As the sun moves across the sky it can and does go through the roof and gable vents. Even if the UV hits it for 2 hours a day, one can extrapolate that out and figure out how long before 6 months exposure occurs. Are YOU willing to take on that liability because you did not recommend rubbatex insulation over the exposed PEX in an attic? I am not.

Have you ever seen UV damaged grey HVAC ducting?

Think about it.

Chuck

Did you look at the stud hangers and separators for pex piping Stephen?
I think they are essential part of that system.
They are easy to use lower the amount of 2 by 4’s for plumbing bracing and thay are ridged and have 90 degree metal mount to stop kinking and you use less pex ( instead of doing a loop)
I think they are a winner.
Yes it looks like shadowing.
I am still worried about fixation.

One also has to make sure none of the PEX is resting on the truss nail plates.

Chuck

Zurn QPex brass…

I found some today. Looks like that class action is sticking. http://www.zimmreed.com/uploads/Zurn-Class-Cert.pdf

Shame, it looked fine.

I do not understand how plastic can beat copper for longevity.
If this product is only 20 years old that does not negate the time needed to truly test out a product.
You know what happens to a home when water leaks and the plumbing system has failed and has to be changed.$$$$$$$ and insurance and you lost of your home for x number of months.
Copper was first used in 2750 BC and to me has stood the test of time.
Pex will show more and more or its defects in the years to come.
Zurn first invented polyB, now pex, RIGHT.There ties to the U.S. government are close ones. Its called lobbied.
Here’s a link about copper. It a good read. it inhibits the growth of bacterial and viral organisms in water systems. Tell me if standing water plastic does that.

http://www.eurocopper.org/copper/plumbing-heating.html