Phone Battery Life Taking Pictures w/Spectora

So I’ve just used Spectora now for a few of my Mock inspections. I’m using a Samsung Galaxy S20 and everything seems to be working great, except by the end of my inspection, my battery is nearly dead on my phone. I’m assuming this is due to the number of pictures I’m taking and the flash being used in so many dim to dark areas.

Does anyone use a different camera for taking pictures and if so, what do you do to import them into Spectora without taking a ton of time after the inspection to finish the report?

Or do you do other things to try to help with battery life? If I get to a point where I’m doing two inspections a day, I won’t be able to get that to work if my phone dies after the first inspection.

1 Like

How many photos are you taking on an inspection?

between 150 to 200

1 Like

I use an S20 and take on average 400-500 photos per inspection, have had some in the 700 range.

2 Likes

I don’t use an app or report on site. Maybe that added is really draining on your battery.

2 Likes

Do you use the flash?

Yes, when needed.

I use a Note 9, take an average of 50 pictures per which are inserted directly into my inspections software, I could easily do 3 inspections without any worry of draining the battery in my phone. Although I don’t use Spectora I wouldn’t think the software program would matter that much, but I could be wrong.

I would check the background usage on your phone.

1 Like

I still have plenty of battery life left after an inspection, something draining the battery on yours.

2 Likes

I use Spectora on a Moto G and it barely uses any battery to do an inspection. I probably average around 100 pictures, half in the app and half out of the app. Flash usually set to auto.

2 Likes

Although I have yet to take the plunge (and use my onsite Companion software) I have considered the battery problem. If you use your phones GPS to get to the home your inspecting make sure you have a good car charger and use it during the drive. The second thing to purchase is a ‘back up battery pack.’ I got one from the local BBB. It is an iHome so I guess it was intended for an iPhone but works fine with my Android and the right cable.

3 Likes

I use a phone case with a built in battery pack, effectively doubling the batteries capacity.

5 Likes

I take around 120 pictures per inspection with an older iPhone 5s. The battery can get low but I have my newer phone to continue with so no problem. Pictures all end up in the same place when I get back anyways.

1 Like

That’s a great idea, didn’t even know they had them.

1 Like

https://www.zagg.com/en_us/juice-pack-air-iphone-x

You likely have the app set to auto-save every few minutes or so. This will chew up a battery while it uses service to upload often.
I have mine set to “on-demand”. When I get in the truck to leave, I plug in the phone & hit save. It uploads & charges on my way to the next one.

This really helps preserve the battery when you are in an area of poor service as it will just keep searching for a signal when set to auto-save.

5 Likes

What Brandon said…Also make sure you have no background apps running such as maps, music, weather, web browser, etc. Close out things you are not using.
If still a problem, you can shut off bluetooth and enter airplane mode if you really want to conserve battery during the inspection. Hopefully that is not necessary.
Also you can check your “battery health” in the general settings. If it has dropped under 80% then it may be time to start planning for repair/replacement.

1 Like

I charge my phone each night at bedtime. Good for the whole day. :slight_smile: Don’t need a car battery strapped to the back. :smile:

3 Likes

I don’t use Spectora, but I always keep my iPad on airplane mode with HIP. It makes a huge difference in battery life.

We are instructed to do the same thing with our FEMA Galaxy tablets. It makes a huge difference with them as well.

1 Like

What do you use bluetooth for on an inspection?