Photo of Attic Burn Marks

Originally Posted By: ecrofutt
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

What would you tell your clients about the burn marks.

29KB File Size

By the way, Chris, the part of the window that says "Your image loaded correctly" actually says "You image loaded correctly" Think it's missing an R there.

This was in the attic of a 102 year old house. The roof had been replaced about 4 years ago from new sheathing out to new shingles.

Erby

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Erby,

I would inform the clients that the roof was medium rare, just the way I like my steaks! icon_smile.gif

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: dbush

Personally, not seeing any MAJOR structural problems from the marks, I would note that there are obvious burn marks on what appears from the picture to be on one roof joist.

Dave Bush

MAB Member

"LIFE'S TOUGH, WEAR A HELMET"

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

Erby:

You always catching grammatical errors. You a good speller. I hope you having a nice Christmas.

You friend: Nick

Nick, you a goof. You grammar is no good. May you New Year be Happy and prosperous.

Now if I could catch it in my own stuff. It's easy to see others goofs. The hard part is seeing mine.

Originally Posted By: Chris Morrell

at leest im naught az bahd as dan. Aye’ll fiks it layter.

CHristofur Morel, WEbmister

Icantspecll@inxil.com
http://www.alltooflat.com/geeky/elgoog/

Hey… and at least the image worked icon_smile.gif

Chris Morrell

Director of Information Technology

http://www.nachi.org/

What a bunch of goofs. Chris, have you determined maximum picture capactiy yet?

Erby

Originally Posted By: ismetaniuk

This membership was a big waste of my time!!!

Igor

Top To Bottom Inspections

Glen Spey, NY

Test:

I just set the limit to 100k. That's going to be a pretty large file as it is. I'd recommend sticking to 40k (the previous limit) or less if possible, but there's an option now for those big files.

I sorta forgot about the image uploader... was there anything else I needed to add to it?

--
Chris Morrell

I would like to see a link to the picture instead of the in-line image. That way it is my choice to wait for the download and see the picture instead of having the download time forced on me. Especially with the larger limit at 100K.

Erby

Originally Posted By: rwills

Erby, When are you gonna break down and get a broadband hookup for your computer? C’mon, you makin’ all that money and stuff! (you placed intentionally)

oops… I thought I replied to you earlier. If you just paste the location of the image, it shows up as a link:

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/christmas%20bells%20from%20chris.gif

Thus, if you don't feel that the picture is required for the post to make sense, just remove the "[img]" and "[/img]" when you insert a picture.

Hope that helps,

--
Chris Morrell

Originally Posted By: rmeyers

I agree with Igor & Dave that it doesn’t appear to be a major structural issue. I’ve been in several attics where there were previous fires and usually the smoke damage from a source of ignition within the attic space would be much more extensive on the framing and 1x4 sheathing slats.

The burn pattern being predominantly on the top of the rafters and the bottom edge of the slats would also indicate that the source of ignition was from the outside - burning inward - probably during a time when the wood shingles or shakes were exposed. (And obviously prior to the most recent re-roofing as shown by the clean sheathing throughout the attic.)

The location of chimneys and the presence or lack of spark arrestors may also shed light on the cause. The combination of wood roofs and wood burning fireplaces was a safety issue 100 years ago and still can be today, especially with aging roofs and no spark arrestor on wood burning fireplaces.

Being able to tell your client that the source of ignition was from the exterior may help put their minds at ease with respect to finding additional hidden interior fire damage.

In reality, the greater concern would be the CURRENT potential sources of ignition in a 102 year old house! (Brick fireplaces & chimneys, left over knob & tube wiring, gas lights, and most dangerous, the inevitable DIY updates!)

Sometimes it's nice to be able to impress your client with seemingly irrelevant facts about their new home. Just be sure of your facts and don't try to B.S. them, that usually back fires!

In other words - Dazzle them with your foot work but keep your guard up! icon_eek.gif Too many blows to the head will eventually take their toll! icon_confused.gif

--
Russ Meyers

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

Hey Russ,

Didn't you produce all those "Super Vixen" movies of the late 60's and early 70's before becoming an inspector ?!

Just kidding (or hoping)...

Joe

Originally Posted By: rmeyers

Joe,

Sorry to say I'm not. Have searched the family tree but to no avail!

Have to admit I did admire his work myself on occasion. icon_redface.gif

You would be amazed (or maybe not) how often I'm asked that question. Appears he had quite a following.

Just an Inspector! icon_wink.gif

--
Russ Meyers