Photos Versus Written Field Notes

Originally Posted By: jruppert
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Rather than taking written notes, I have been using my camera to document every issue that I see during my home inspections. I then download the photos into my inspections software and make my comments as appropriate in the report. Does anyone else have long-term experience doing inspections this way? Comments…

Thanks,

Jim

Originally Posted By: Chris Norman

A picture speaks a thousand words, I use them and have had great feedback. icon_lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

I use written notes for everything from the model and serial numbers to the type of framing, etc. I use pictures and notes for the defects. I would hate to get back to the office to type up the report and find that there was some kind of error in the camera or computer software and not be able to do the report.

A picture may be worth a thousand words, but only if it is a good picture and well explained to the layman! ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Originally Posted By: rwills

I have been using photos since day one mostly for defects and to show the client things they probably can’t see during the inspection such as roof, attic, etc. I also take some reference photos just for my own aid in writing the report which I delete afterward. At the beginning of the inspection I tell the client, agent, or whoever is tagging along that I take reference photos and not to worry that every picture means there’s a problem, it helps ease their pressure, especially the agents! icon_wink.gif

Bob Wills - MAB Chairman

BW Inspection Services

Warminster, Pa.

http://www.bwinspections.com

Originally Posted By: dbush

I agree with Bob and Blaine both. Pictures of defects or unusual items are taken for the report, other pictures are taken to “refresh” my memory, and written notes are taken on a notepad for filing in the client’s folder.

Dave

--
Dave Bush
MAB Member

"LIFE'S TOUGH, WEAR A HELMET"

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

How do you take a picture of reverse polarity or open ground on an outlet? I think a tape recorder is not a half bad idea, as you can speak into it faster than you can write

Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Originally Posted By: Mike Parks

On reverse polarity you hold the camera upside down.

For an open ground set the shutter speed to the fastest setting. You will see electrons coming from the open ground. ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

Mike P.

Originally Posted By: jburkeson

kmcmahon wrote:
How do you take a picture of reverse polarity or open ground on an outlet? I think a tape recorder is not a half bad idea, as you can speak into it faster than you can write

I take a picture of the outlet with my tester plugged in.

Joe

--
Joseph Burkeson, RPI (Hooperette)

?Anyone who has proclaimed violence his method inexorably must choose lying as his principle.?
~ Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Really? how do you keep track of which pic of an outlet belongs to which room?

I will put a photo of an outlet in the report to give it’s location, especially if it is only one of many in a room.

Blaine,

I agree with you…taking pics is important for documentation and reporting, but I can’t figure how you can use pictures only for note taking at an inspection. You’d almost have to carry a clipboard or a recorder to remember every item and where it’s located. That’s my only point.

Kevin

--

Quote:
but I can't figure how you can use pictures only for note taking at an inspection.

me either ![icon_question.gif](upload://t2zemjDOQRADd4xSC3xOot86t0m.gif)

Originally Posted By: mjones1

I went through that nightmare late last year, relying on my camera so heavily. When I got back to the office my card reader zapped my card and all the pictures were gone. icon_redface.gif luckily the agent understood and let me back in. Now I take ALOT of notes and photos and I keep an extra card in my bag.

Mike

Thank you all for your responses and opinions - A follow-up question from my first: for those of you using a digital camera and reporting software, when you take your notes or use your recorder do you use a checklist? Has anybody had good luck with using a tablet computer in the field to take notes with? icon_question.gif icon_question.gif

Thanks,

Jim

Originally Posted By: mcraig

not a problem. I take pictures of everything that I can I also use a PDA with a great software package all my report is generated on the PDA then I plug it in to my lap top at the end of the inspection and enter it and all the pictures then I edit the pictures and print the report and put it in a nice notebook and hand it to the buyer and walk through the report with them, they pay me and I tell them to contact me if they have questions later on and I leave. When I leave an inspection I am done I go home load the report from my lap top to my server and enjoy a nice evening at home. I don’t think anymore about that report I move on to the next one. If something comes up I pull the report and all the pictures up on my server and I am ready for what ever they need to know. Do a good report and store it good and you will all ways be covered. icon_smile.gif icon_smile.gif icon_smile.gif icon_smile.gif

Michael - how long does it take you to do the report and package it after you have done the actual inspection?

Originally Posted By: mcraig

it takes an average of 30 min. but that also includes the time that I walk through the report with them, I keep the buyer and agents happy and busy while I am printing the report this is the time to give them the NACHI notebook to read and to go over your contract with them so they understand what they have paid for. I take the time while I am there to explain the report in depth each issue. When I leave they know every issue I am complete. They think that it was great to have an HI take the time and show an interest in them and the Home. They also feel they got there moneys worth. I have not had unhappy customers ( knock on wood icon_smile.gif icon_smile.gif ) It’s all in Marketing and presentation.