Pier and Beam Problem?

Originally Posted By: Ed Griffin
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

A friend of mine is considering buying a house built in 1945. It is pier and beam and obviously has some problems. The floors are very unlevel and doorways (one in particular) are off level by close to 2 inches.

He had the foundation looked at by a contractor who said that one of the piers had fallen over and the beam which it was supporting was broken in two. There was no deterioration of the wood. He gave an estimate of $3,500 to repair the foundation. Sounded very cheap to me.

My big question is, how much damage to the rest of the structure could have been caused by the failing beam? Would repairing it fix the problem or could there be further problems with the wood frame walls…?

Originally Posted By: roconnor

Sounds like some serious problems that the homeowner should have a building engineer look at. The contractor may just be proposing a band-aid.

Robert O’Connor, PE

Eagle Engineering ?

Eagle Eye Inspections ?

NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Originally Posted By: jremas

Yep, engineer needed on this one for sure.

Jeff Remas
REMAS Inspections, Inc.
Northeastern PA & the Poconos
www.NEPAinspector.com

570-362-1598

Originally Posted By: rcloyd

I agree. Definitely an engineer and perhaps a Geo-Technical (soils engineer) as well. I would want to know what made that pier fail.

Russell G. Cloyd

Intra-Spec Home Inspections

& Code Consulting, LLC

859-586-4591

www.intra-spechomeinspections.com