Plastic ceiling fan box?

Would you be OK with a ceiling fan hanging from a plastic box like this? A plastic ceiling fan box is a new one on me. I’m worried about fatigue and material failure down the road.

http://www.hubbellcatalog.com/raco/images/Raco/Boxes/7120.jpg

According to NEC 314.27 a ceiling fan box should be “listed, marked by the manufacturer as suitable for this purpose…The required marking shall include the maximum weight to be supported.”

I can’t find any of that on the product itself. I’m not sure that simply saying “UL 514C listed” on the packaging and website is OK.

See page 3

From Raco Catalog

But Michael, how do we know it’s actually listed for that use by UL?

If you read the instructions you will see that the box does not support the fan. The fan is supported by the framing member above that box.

Compliances
• – Standard 514-C,
File E104681 and R9320
• All versions of RACO® 7120 are UL approved
for nonmetallic wiring systems
• Boxes are listed for their Electrical
Applications (Electrical Codes), UL
Green Book
• Boxes are listed for mechanical properties,
including the 2-hour Fire Rating,
(building codes) UL Orange Book
• Federal Manufacturer’s number

If the fan is supported by the framing member then the box isn’t required to be rated for fan support. The NEC gives you the option of using a fan box or supporting the fan independently of the box. The key wording in the requirement is sole support. I’ve used the box in the OP and happen to like them.

But the box has picture of a fan and home depot sells it so it must be ok

These boxes are very strong. I have used them before. This wouldn’t be my first choice, but I would definitely use it if I found myself in the situation where my box placement was directly in the middle of a truss. It gives you some space to put your wire connections.

That box does not have to be strong since it is only a place to make the splices. It is not providing the support for the fan. The fan is hanging on two long screws into the framing member.

I have used this box for several years and find it to be universal and prefer it to most boxes rated for fan support. Using this box mounted to a framing member provides for a much sturdier and less flexing fan installation, but as with any thing else it is only as good as the installer wants it to be.

I just used one of those boxes a few weeks ago. As others have stated the fan is supported to the structure with the long screws supplied with the box. The box is for the electrical wire splices.
As I recall, all of the directions were clearly printed with the box.
If you don’t like this box, don’t use it. There are plenty of other products that work.

How many times does Jim have to say it?
The box does not support the fan that weighs about 35 lbs. The rating is for the hardware that comes with the fan. The hardware and screws supplied are to get the 70-75 lb. rating support.
Plastic, steel, the goddarn blocking and screws are holding up the weight.

ceiling_fan_text.jpg

ceilingfanmount400.jpg

Hope this makes it more understandable. :):smiley:

I was starting to get that deja vu feeling. :mrgreen:

And this one has a few violations. :mrgreen:

I was waiting for that.

That is the only picture of the bracket that supports the fan I could find.

Thanks for bringing it up. :):wink:

Besides the grounds not connected to the bracket and possibly the box the other issue would be the gap is larger than 1/8" around the junction box.

Hard to tell what the screws are going into tho.

I looked at those horizontal braces the other day and they are not approved for ceiling fans. They are only designed for about 6 lbs. of weight.

Take a closer look at the photo. It appears to be a Raco expandable type of bar box that’s ceiling fan rated and designed to be installed in existing ceilings.

http://www.plumbersurplus.com/images/prod/5/RACO-0936-rw-156315-222498.jpg

http://www.plumbersurplus.com/images/prod/5/RACO-0936-rw-156315-222498.jpg

For my own piece of mind, I’ve always used the metal pancake boxes for ceiling fans. Like it’s been said, if installed correctly the framing member is actually the supporting structure for a ceiling fan (when using a pancake box).