Plate over foundation

In this pic at new construction- bottom plate- 2x6 is hanging over the poured concrete wall- the floor trusses above plate are 2x4 chords. Certainly would concern me on my house if I saw it- any comments or SE in crowd to comment on condition shown in pic?

Thanks,
ken

The foundation wall appears crooked… you’re doing new construction inspection, look up foundation tolerance for concrete foundation, go back, take measurements and compare :slight_smile: Let us know how it turns out.

2 Likes

Im not doing a new construction inspection- just curious about condition- I will often walk through new construction in area.

Where are you located? the framing looks unconventional never seen it done that way before. looks fu…ked up. the floor truss sitting directly on the concrete.non-presure treated wood should be 1 and a half inches away from the concrete.

It is wrong for the bottom/sole/base plate to hang over the edge in that manner. To answer your question why read 2018 IRC R602.3 and 2018 American Wood Council Wood Frame Construction Manual 2.4.1.3 and 3.2.1.7. While your there read the rest of the WFCM for a lot of good information!

It’s ok…chances are the framers had to square up the building and the poured concrete may have been off a bit…it happens…

5 Likes

SillOverhang.pdf (140.9 KB)

3 Likes

Thank you Ray. Thornburg.

May I add. It’s a stem-wall/firewall of an attached Row Home development by the looks of it. Likely the county AHJ do not implement strict building code phase inspections with measurements prior the concrete pour. 5 will likely return 10, sump tests are not done unless asked for by the developer.

Thanks Marcel. That PDF is for exterior veneer.
The OP’s pic appears to be a stem wall. Likely no sheathing required on the framing to stiffen the framing…Drywall will be the fire wall/break.

If the wall is carrying only one floor and roof and the sill is properly anchored to the foundation, I would not be concerned about it.

AHJ doesn’t have to measure the foundation especially for being square. Sometimes they require a plot of survey to be prepared after the foundation is finished to see if the building is in the approved location.

looks like they squared the foundation. No big deal. In Maine floor trusses sitting on pressure treated plate is common. Gald to see the sill seal, other than were it doesn’t connect together will allow air flow.

The foundation is clearly out of plumb on the corner. I’d be willing to bet that if the photo showed the foundation wall all the way to the footing, the wood framed wall would would line up pretty close to the bottom of the foundation. I see this sort of thing regularly in new construction. Foundation crews don’t use string lines and levels much anymore. They just assume that since the panels are square, if they lock together, everything is good. With aluminum panels, which was used on this foundation, the bottoms are squared when assembled but are quite often not braced at the top allowing for the forms to move when the concrete is poured especially when the concrete not poured in lifts.

After another look at the picture, I’d be more concerned about the damage to the base plate from the toe nails on the end… Looks like it was split with chunks missing. How secure do you think that is going to be in an extreme weather event, like a micro burst or tornado?