Polybutylene for Inspectors 14,001

I’ve read some of the past posts about polybutylene with highly differing opinions and the article on Polybutylene for Inspectors by Nick Gromicko and Kenton Shepard.
In the article there is a header that says Polybutylene Pipes Should Be Replaced. I read an additional study that indicates chlorination is the issue.
My question is: does anyone recommend installing a whole house water filter to remove chlorine and prevent the oxidation and damage issues associated with it? I think this would be a lot less $$ than replacing plumbing. Thoughts?

That won’t help with the fittings. PB should always be identified as such and the client made aware. Also we don’t typically make recommendations on how to fix the issue but we refer to licensed designated professional.

Was referring to the theory that the pipe overtime has a potential to fail in reference to the article. I have seen clients walk away from a home that had PB because of fear for replacement costs.

The fools in charge down here think we should :roll:

Your status below your name still says student. You’ve already seen clients walk due to PB? They should be referred to a plumber who will give them a replacement cost, typically. It’s going to be the equivalent of a new roof or some other major repair. It may even be reflected in the asking price already. Buyers will use the inspectors report as a reason to walk even though they may have another reason. that’s part of the process as well.

From what I have read there is no one definitive reason for failure.  And IMO no reason for me to surmise a reason.  PB is no longer used, good enough for me.   Report it, recommend a plumber and move on.

Yep! Insurance companies hate the stuff so we have to strongly call it out. However, I been through as many homes that had copper that got pin holes in it and started to leak and had to be re-piped as I bet had poly that was replaced that wasn’t even leaking just because the insurance company would not insure property. Insurance companies do not complain about copper. No doubt poly has more of a history, but really everything fails eventually.

I guess I should have introduced myself. I have an ASHI certification. I joined InterNachi to expand my education and for the great benefits as I have started my own company. I use to work for a large firm and have been an inspector for almost 5 years.
I don’t think you can compare this to a roof that needs replacement. You get on the roof see its bad or leaking and you call a roofer. This could be a system that is currently functioning fine with no signs of leakage and you say it needs to be replaced? No doubt a plumber could be found to say its okay. I’m just trying to cover every angle and become as educated as possible. Please reference the article. Polybutylene for Inspectors - InterNACHI®

The other article I found was http://www.documents.dgs.ca.gov/bsc/pex/2010/Vibien-et-al-nd.pdf
This article has found that PEX is doing the same thing in lab tests as a reaction to chlorinated water.

Here is what I put in my report now if I see PB.
Polybutylene (PB) plumbing supply lines were installed in this house. PB plumbing was used as water distribution piping in many homes built from the mid 1980’s until the mid 1990’s. The piping and associated fittings have had a failure rate and subsequent leakage sufficient to have been the subject of several nationwide class action lawsuits. Copper and brass fittings used in later years seem to have reduced the failure rate, but the piping may still fail due to problems with poor installation, improper handling, or chemical reaction with the water supply. The class action suits have expired and there is no longer any monetary relief for homeowners that experience a Polybutylene piping failure. For more information about PB, please do your own research and/or rely on the evaluation and advice of a licensed plumbing contractor prior to the close of escrow or within the inspection contingency period. No indications of previous leaks or repairs were present in areas viewable with PB plumbing. You may wish to have the plumbing system evaluated by a licensed plumbing contractor.

The buyer needs to be told of the two lawsuits and the service bulletins warning about PB plumbing. I am in a legal case where a pattycake home inspector did not note the PB plumbing, among other more serious things. I see no way this inspector is getting out of this, because the PB put the nails in his coffin.