Polybutylene supply line?

This section of supply line is at the main water shut-off (home side). It appears to be Polybutylene, but only a small section is exposed. I could not locate any markings. I’m pretty sure it is PB but I’d like to get confirmation. Thanks in advanced.

It looks like PB from my chair in N. MI, Harry.

3 Likes

Thanks for the quick response, Larry.

I thought so. I don’t typically see blue Polybutylene. Always good to ask!

1 Like

How old is the house? The Poly-B up here is more of a grayish blue… that looks more like pex to me

1 Like

Blue MDPE pipe for water service lines has become more popular in the last few years because it’s cheaper than copper and it doesn’t corrode.

1 Like

My understanding it was discontinued in the 90’s. New blue pipe should be pex. I would like to know the age of the home.

1 Like

Looks like Blue Max and yes it’s poly and potentially a big problem. I still see this plumbing on average once a year. The class action expired a number of years ago.

Blue Max (plbg.com)

2 Likes

Looks like I used the wrong acronym. My bad. MDPE pipe is what I meant to say.

1 Like

The home was built in 1987.

This pipe is more a baby blue. PEX, in my experience, is a darker blue.

1 Like

the pipe is PEX with crimp ring. MDPE pipe does not have crimp rings, they have push fittings, compression fittings or fusion fittings.

2 Likes

That would be Pex. PB issues are the result of leaking piping inside the home.
All the homes on our street had the old PB supply removed last year. As stated Pex has crimp rings.

Cheers

1 Like

Looks like PEX to me as well

1 Like

Like I said before, I haven’t seen a lot of blue PB. Only a few times. It is most always grey PB in my area.

The home had Copper and PEX stub outs, but PB/PEX was observed in the attic. The PB supplied the water heater with branch lines going down into the wall. The attic had sixteen inches of fiberglass loose-fill, so I wasn’t able to trace every line.

I went ahead and wrote it up as PB (better safe than sorry). Considering the amount of PB in the attic and the main supply resembling PB, I thought it best do so.

Thanks for all of your help. It is much appreciated!

That is actually PEX. Making improper comments (just to be safe) will eventually come back to bite you!
Don’t guess - be correct!
Cheers

1 Like

As far as the supply line, you have very little information. I think it is ok to say the supply was possibly PB but you had limitations on making that determination.

It is not always as clear as it was in one of your photo’s.
Nice to have this bit of confirmation.

4 Likes

…and here :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The whole purpose of my post was to help correctly identify it. You say it’s PEX, others say it is PB. Who is right, you or them?

I assure you, I worded it correctly my report and an evaluation by a plumber was recommended. I also explained everything to the Client and his realtor. They understood the dilemma.

I will update this post after the plumber has reviewed the plumbing.

2 Likes

With the number of visible repairs in that system, recommending a qualified plumber for review was a good call, imo

4 Likes

Interestingly, This is not the first longgggg debate. I found this old thread that had a zillion different opinions, nearly identical to your situation.

2 Likes